The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Saltwater.

I also just went to my first Frag Swap last weekend and had a blast.

I even won an RO/DI Machine in the Raffle.

Anyways, I bought a few Acropora Frags for 10.00 each to try them out.

I also got the eHopps Frag Rack to put them in.

I was wondering how fast do they grow?

People also sold Colonies.

Are Colonies better to buy and do they by any chance grow faster than Frags since they are more established? :fish:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have seen small amounts every week with the three i have. They are like any other plant they will eventually grow but some times it takes them awhile to acclimate to your tank and then they start to take off. So give thema couple weeks see how they do in their spot watch them and see if they need to be moved or more lighting or flow and then a week or so after they are happy you will see them start to grow.

·
Premium Member
6,790 Posts
Generally you will see them encrusting the plug (or rock if you glued them) for the first few weeks.

If they are just 1" stalks which I assume for $10 growth will be slow for the first few months then you will start to notice new tips growing out.

I have some that grow like crazy 1"+ per month on every tip and I have some that are still very small after 2-3 years. It really all depends on the species.

Colonies are good but I like to buy frags.

·
My own ocean
1,663 Posts
They are actually purely animals although they have plants inside them. It is a symbiotic relationship where the algae inside the coral uses photosynthesis to make sugars that the coral uses as food and in return the algae has a home to live in.

·
Registered
306 Posts
They are actually purely animals although they have plants inside them. It is a symbiotic relationship where the algae inside the coral uses photosynthesis to make sugars that the coral uses as food and in return the algae has a home to live in.
Sorry should have been more specific. I know they are actually animals but was just trying to make a easy comparision. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.