The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5'x2'x2' tank and last night i left a halogen light resting on one of the two glass supports that run across the top of the tank joining the top of the front panel to the top of the back panel.

The heat cracked the glass support and although the whole tank didnt fall apart at the time Im wondering whether im going to go home and find a flood!

Does anyone know how essential to the tanks engineering these things are? Anyone broken one before and survived?

Any comments appreaciated!

:arg:

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
hehehe .. oh yeah they do break.. and yes you do need it.. you have the common support brace in the midle or two off center or the "euro" bracing that is sorta just around the whole outside..
you can make a new brace to make sure there is no bowingof the tank. either use glass and reattach it or make one out of acrylic and slip it over the sides..

·
Registered
696 Posts
a VERY long time ago I cut my support brace out of a 55G and the tank bowed like crazy! it never broke but it wasnt a 150 though. get it fixed as fast as you can

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
That support is very important - when I worked at several LFS we had customers bringing in tanks without the support braces. They were bowed and some were even broken. The water pressure is too much for them and sometimes the glass breaks! I'd definitely fix it or get another tank with the supports intact. Someone could use that tank without the supports for a reptile terrarium!!

HHC

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im getting the idea id better get this fixed!!
it is one of two so hopefully it will last till tonight, i have it taped up with super duct tape at the moment...
thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,143 Posts
Yup, Attempt some sort of temp fix to re create the bracing, something to take to place of the brace,,,it's there for a reason, i would not hesitate on this,,,,,:agree:

·
Registered
393 Posts
i have a 50 gallon bowfront that has a piece of plastic running across the top. does this piece of plastic act as a brace as well? i want to take it off because it obstructs the light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice, bar clamp sounds a good idea, its midday here but ill be heading to the glass shop tonight to get a new piece tonight and will clamp and duct tape to hold in place while the silicone dries.

It didnt seem to bow too much, the two sides of the broken glass only had around a 2milimeter gap between them when it broke so hopefully it should hold up till i can fix it.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Good luck MisterK, let us know - -

Menelaus22 - yes, that's the brace, even if it obstructs the light somewhat it's acting as a support for the weight of the water pushing against the tank's walls.....

HHC

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hardhead Cat said:
Good luck MisterK, let us know - -

Menelaus22 - yes, that's the brace, even if it obstructs the light somewhat it's acting as a support for the weight of the water pushing against the tank's walls.....

HHC

ohhhhhh boy... :eek:

This was kind of a loaded question because I couldn't take the huge vertical shadow that the "brace" was causing. I cut the piece of black plastic so everything would look better.

What the heck can I do to fix this since the tank is full? It's been holding fine for about a month now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went down and bought a bar clamp to hold the edges together so i got some peaceful sleep last night.... ordered some glass and will glue it in tonight with the clamp to hold it all in place so everything is looking good, thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
MisterK said:
I went down and bought a bar clamp to hold the edges together so i got some peaceful sleep last night.... ordered some glass and will glue it in tonight with the clamp to hold it all in place so everything is looking good, thanks guys.
Sounds like a good save. It could have been big trouble.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
And here I thought duct tape fixed everything! lol. Hope the tank and its occupants make it through.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Good morning - menelaus22, I would get a bar clamp for your support as well. It will obstruct the light but won't cause a tank failure -

HHC

1 - 20 of 24 Posts