The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never owned a clam before, and I bought this 3-3.5" derasa about 2 weeks ago. It's sitting about 19" below this LED light: http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic..._Fixtures-Ecoxotic-XX09242-FILTFILDTF-vi.html

When I first got him, I laid him on the bare-bed glass but he kept sliding around, sometimes because of the current and slippery glass surface, and sometimes I noticed he had a foot that comes out and nudges him, but then retracts. About a week ago, he released his feet, and I haven't seen it since. I decided to put him in that PVC so he doesn't glide around.

I know my LEDs aren't that powerful, but it has been enough to keep some monti caps & bird's nest. My bird's nest, in fact, has been growing very quickly, but he's about 7 inches under the LEDs. I also use automatic 2-part dosers so my params are relatively stable. Tank's been cycled for almost 4 months, but I still have some cyano & hair algae to take care of.

Here are some pictures I took earlier today from multiple angles, what do you guys think? Does my clam look healthy? Any tips, comments, or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Looks good, nice mantle extension. Is it reactive when you move your hand to block the light ? It should retract slightly when you do this.
Here's book I'd highly reccomend getting also there is one by an author of the last name, Koop.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Looks good to me as well. Deresa is a good first clam choice. We have one we got at 2" 5 years ago and is now a good 7-8".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sharing the book! I read these things get huge, been reading a lot of online materials too.

@droth - sounds great, what lighting do you use and where do you have him? Share some pics if you'd like :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so it's easier to clean. I had sand in my last tank and when I moved... it was reallyyy nasty and stinky, so no more sand for me. Doesn't look as good, but easier to siphon out detritus :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks for sharing the book! I read these things get huge, been reading a lot of online materials too.

@droth - sounds great, what lighting do you use and where do you have him? Share some pics if you'd like :)
This guy has been under about every form of lighting. It was under MH/T5 in our old 210 and then when we moved we had only a 28g so it was under PC's and now is under LED's for the past 10 months in our new 280.

Not the best pic - still trying to figure out photography under LED's:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This guy has been under about every form of lighting. It was under MH/T5 in our old 210 and then when we moved we had only a 28g so it was under PC's and now is under LED's for the past 10 months in our new 280.

Not the best pic - still trying to figure out photography under LED's:

Oh nice, it looks big and healthy! U never had any issues even with the PC in the 28g? How about flow, does it seem to prefer lower or higher flow? I notice mine moves around on its own a lot, it might not be very happy without the flow and/or lack of substrate.

Your picture looks pretty good, you can try to churn up Lightroom and mess with the color temp, clarity, and vibrance.. might get something u like more.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Oh nice, it looks big and healthy! U never had any issues even with the PC in the 28g? How about flow, does it seem to prefer lower or higher flow? I notice mine moves around on its own a lot, it might not be very happy without the flow and/or lack of substrate.

Your picture looks pretty good, you can try to churn up Lightroom and mess with the color temp, clarity, and vibrance.. might get something u like more.
Deresa's are the most forgiving of the clams light-wise which is why we kept him when we had to downsize to 28g before our move (long story regarding 210 leaking shortly before our move). We also had a crocea and a much larger (at the time) deresa that we had to rehome due to space for the deresa and didn't think the PC lights would suffice for the crocea. He did fine in it for the 1.5 years he was under the PC lights.

Thanks for the photography pointers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have and keep allot of clams and never keep a Deresa's without a sand bed maybe someone else has done it..but they are a clam that wants to get its foot in the sand..using the pipe you that you have him on maybe fill it with sand but it need to be in something my 10" deresa and my 3" one both have a very large foot and have it spread way out in the sandbed now my other types do not as much

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well never mined I looked closer and see sand in the pipe..lol ok so I dont see that well anymore..you might think about a 4" or 6" pipe they grow fast mine puts on close to 1/2" new shell a month and their foot is big even on the small ones..food for thought

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Droth - thanks! Good to know yours lived fine with PC lighting. I only got the derasa to start because I hear they're most forgiving too :)

LJ- I actually didn't have any sand in that pipe, but my clam "fell" off the pipe about a week ago, so he's just sitting in the barebed now. I read they're fine on the barebed, but if mine keeps moving I may try the pipe with sand in it, or maybe put some rocks/sand in just for him

·
Registered
85 Posts
My small guy moves allover the sand, but my big one stays(thankfully) put I would def put it on sand the pipe don't have to be tall maybe 2" or so.just start with a 4" one I really think it would be better for it, but I have no expences with bare bottom tanks just with allot of clams

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love BB, but my clams moved around quite a bit. Not sure if that means they are unhappy, but I cut down some containers and put sand in there. Now they stay parked and have been growing like crazy. The big derasa I got from a local reefer that had him on BB and just let him scoot around. Not sure how long he was on BB, but they guy had him for 6 years, 4 of those under LED only. He is 9" and the maxima is over 5" measured from tip of shell to tip.

I can't share pic yet, haha.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That derasa looks really good! Make sure your clam doesnt get tipped over, or adjust it so its always straight up. They will starve if they are on their side.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts