The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys anchor new specimens to the live rock base on your reefs? Expecially when the reef is really established...

It seems my shrimp & hermit crabs love to redecorate just when I have something balanced....I wake up and find it face down in the sand.....

·
Administrator
48,724 Posts
often the trick is finding a better deprssion or nook to place the piece. Some tinmes a runbber band or zip tie helb to stabilize, worst case scenario a glob of gel type superglue or reef epoxy will provide fairly permanent stability
I tried electric fences around the new pieces but that didnt work well:( I think a line of micro shock training collars for crustaceans would be a big seller tho ;)
By the way , what did ya get :)

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Doug1 said:
I tried electric fences around the new pieces but that didnt work well:( I think a line of micro shock training collars for crustaceans would be a big seller tho ;)
LOL. I think we should start R&D on that immediately.;)

If the coral is already mounted to a substrate then I like two part plumbers epoxy. If it's a coral only I prefer to attach it to a small rock then epoxy the rock in place. The method used for attaching depends on what the coral is.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doug - didn't get anything new yet - still working on plumbing and water testing the 65. But since I am ordering supplies for it I wondered if I needed to by some epoxy for the methods you guys mentioned above.....I have just about given up on my 12G nano- there is now a small peice of star polyps that will have to rest on the sand until the other tank is up and running because no matter where I put it - the crusties get it - I think they are at war with those poor little green star guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.