The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sir Master Deuter the 3rd
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you keep the sand bed nice and clean and white?

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
It really depends on what type of sand bed, too. If you have an ssb just for looks, you should vacuum it to keep it clean. If you have a dsb, you're not going to be able to keep it pristine, it might show some 'stuff' (even coralline) between the sand and the glass on the front and sides. When you look at pics of other tanks, it's not unusual for that area to not be perfectly clean.

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a ssb and it's algae that's growing on the sand bed, what should I do?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a ssb and it's algae that's growing on the sand bed, what should I do?
I use a combo of designer snails, sand shifting star, and vacuuming the sand.. I still haven't figured out mine 100% but the above should at least be a start.

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll keep you guys posted

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what are some sand shifting fish?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I have a bullet goby and not only does he love to sift sand but he Loves algae of all types red hair green it all he doesnt care. The down side is I cant keep any corals on the sand bed he completely covers them up.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Get a sand sifting goby. I use the orange spotted.
I think the Diamond Goby is the one that is the sand sifter that he is talking about. I have one and it is so cool...working all day on scoping up sand and spitting it out. I have heard that they are hard to keep, but mine is doing well...and my sand looks the best it ever has.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Now that was wierd. I copy/pasted the results but the link takes me to a blank page.

Go to the link above and in the search box just type in "Dart Goby" and you can get the 6 results I got.

·
Registered
959 Posts
yeah I use a sand sifting goby and syphon as well, really with the Goby you don't need to do much syphoning, the key is getting it to eat regular food as well.

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went and bought the sleeper gold head goby and 2 sand shifting sea stars and 2 fighting conchs and the sand bed is some much cleaner now! the goby does the best job, i'll get one more of him and my sand will always stay really white now, thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I went and bought the sleeper gold head goby and 2 sand shifting sea stars and 2 fighting conchs and the sand bed is some much cleaner now! the goby does the best job, i'll get one more of him and my sand will always stay really white now, thanks guys!
Sleeper headed gobies will be aggressive toward each other unless they are a mated pair.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts