The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my little 2 inch clown swam right up last night through the overflow teeth on my PF-300. He got sucked all the way to the large particulate filter before the bulkhead. I was able to rescue him thankfully and he's doing fine. Is there any way I can prevent this in the future. I read about trying those plastic screens they sale in crafts at walmart (the kind you thread yarn through and make designs, can't think of what they are called) but when I place them in front of the teeth it restricts flow WAY too much. What can I do?

·
Registered
15 Posts
So my little 2 inch clown swam right up last night through the overflow teeth on my PF-300. He got sucked all the way to the large particulate filter before the bulkhead. I was able to rescue him thankfully and he's doing fine. Is there any way I can prevent this in the future. I read about trying those plastic screens they sale in crafts at walmart (the kind you thread yarn through and make designs, can't think of what they are called) but when I place them in front of the teeth it restricts flow WAY too much. What can I do?
I have had the same problem before and I to my old charcoal filter from the rodi filter. It had a plastic grid around the filter so I used a razor blade and cut the plastic off. It restricted the flow maybe a tiny amount but not enough to notice a change in water hight. I put it behind the teeth of the overflow so you couldn't see it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
gutter guard is a perfect solution. It will restrict some though. I removed mine to get more flow. This did work but my exquisite wrasse ended up in the overflow and I didn't find him in time. Real bummer

·
Registered
384 Posts
Eggcrate on an angle so it rolls back into the water.
That is what I will be tempting to create this week.

I posted a thread a while ago about my female who who ends up in one of the overflow boxes from the top. She has now done it three times, every time overnight...she 'sleeps' around the boxes, on her side, right at the top of the water. So I guess she just flips over into the box?

Anyway, Thursday morning we find her in there again, and can't net her out. Decide to let her take the ride down to the sump. She get stuck at the opening of the pipe and I can't get her out for like 10 minutes. Stuck 'folded'. Yikes. Finally get her out, and after trying to revive her we had to get our minds around the apparent fact she was dead.

Well, after a minute or so out of the water, she moved a gill ever so slightly. I held her by the tail in front of the powerhead and continued to get water through her gills.

It's Sunday morning and I'm watching her swim right now. Pretty beat up, but one tough fish!

Egg crates at the top of the overflows for me!

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool. thanks for the info guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts