The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ill be getting a foxface in a few weeks and im a little worried about handling this thing.
i dont want any of the bagged water in my tank, and i read that they cant be netted cause their venomous spines will stick to the net, so how on earth can i get this critter in my tank safely without any bag water getting in too??
id like to just dump him in but i have a feeling the lfs uses copper :eek:

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
I used a net on my Foxface with no problems The LFS also used a net to catch him both when I bought it and when he went back (My tang was picking on him)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
fine meshed net, no problems.

When you first get yours home, it will cammo out and look quite different from what you might expect, they do this at night as well...

not to worry, this is normal behvior and is to be expected.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
tdwyatt said:
fine meshed net, no problems.

When you first get yours home, it will cammo out and look quite different from what you might expect, they do this at night as well...

not to worry, this is normal behvior and is to be expected.
Mine would also do that when he got excited at feeding time

·
Registered
70 Posts
I acclimated mine by floating the bag like normal then pouring small amounts of water in over a 30 minute period. When i was ready to put him in the tank, i just kept him in the bag and poured the water out of the bag into a sink leaving him in it. When the bag was empty, I then carefully dumped him in the tank directly from the bag. It was quick and easy.

You can also use a fine mesh net.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thnx :D
ill get a fine net
im a lil afraid to mix the water, i know petstores treat with copper and having inverts i dont want to risk it

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
thanx for showing that picture of them changing their color like that. I am planning on getting one too. And if i didnt see that picture i would have thought something was extremely wrong. thanx again

·
Registered
609 Posts
I almost killed mine using a net. My wife still doesn't have feeling in the fingertip that got finned getting it out. I would drip acclimate it and keep pouring off the water. Then dump it in the tank. If you do use a net, get a very large one. Not one that the fish barely fits in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts