The Reef Tank banner

How do you get the clowns to pair with a BTA?!!! Can I add more clowns?

455 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  IveGotSunshine 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a pair of tank raised clowns (one onyx ocellaris and one picasso) going on a year now. I put a beautiful big fat red bta in there a month ago. 0 interest. I put up pictures of other clowns in nems (which seemed ridiculous to me, but didn't hurt to try) Ive been feeding directly over the nem to try to get them near/in it- they just wait for the food to disperse. I tried putting the food in a net to kind of trap them in a small space near the nem- they wont go in the net for the food and it just gets eaten by all the more daring fish. (Its a 220g Reef tank so Im not in a position to break down all the rock work to try to catch the clowns and remove the nem.) So any advice or suggestions on how to get them to pair up that doesn't involve catching them, or should I just give up? Someone suggested scaring them so they swim to the nem for safety but its such a big tank I feel like they would just swim through the rock work etc.

I considered getting a 2nd pair of clowns that I can confine w the anemone directly. Thoughts on that? I love clowns but as I understand its 1 pair per tank no matter how big your tank bc eventually one pair will destroy the other? Id love more clowns if its possible?

Im sure there have been many posts about this situation in the past, and Ive read a lot, watched you tube videos, etc. Everything seems to be "catch them and put them in a small space together" which I can't do. Just trying to see if anyone has some ideas outside the box. Thank you!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't add additional clowns.

The clowns should eventually migrate over there, but they will naturally do it slowly. Tank raised clowns are even slower... think about it... they have a home now, so moving is a bit odd).

Also, rearranging the rockwork where they are currently hosting (just a little) will help but clowns do get attached to an area.

Sometimes a larger fish even if it is not predatory (like a tang, etc) can encourage clowns to host if there is a lot of large movement. However, keep with your fish plans as close as possible.

#3 ·
Im no expert so check on this but I have heard one succesful method is to get a bucket and a plastic collander...catch the clowns and put the anemone in the collander down in the bucket with plenty of water for them to swim around it...if you have an airstone and heater id try that but it doesnt take too long..you just give them enough space so as not to be on top of the anemone where they cant swim..and let them hang around it for an hour or more..when you see them "tasting" it a little..they will often start rolling in it and then you can simply put them back in the tank with the nem..if they had a place in the tank they where hosting before..if you move a rock or change it slighly that helps before you put them in..the anemone may take time to settle but ive heard this works and when it settles they find it and start to host..they have to be in close proximty to it in the bucket/collander so they can get used to it and so on...ive heard this works very well from a couple of reliable people with them..the anemone may be your problem..do not tear the foot trying to get it off..look up some ways you can get it to let go..sometimes a powerhead right on it for a while and it will let go..get the nem gently and safely then you can usually catch clowns without too much trouble...( a very big net works good for clowns) if you can catch them near the top in a corner its not too bad..good luck and i hope you get them hosting soon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.