The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've started in January, I've been using the Petco Ocean water for startup and water changes, topping off with distilled. Just wondering if most people with nano's are making their own RO/DI (and what unit for nano needs), buying RO/DI and mixing their own, or using ocean water. Does anyone have experience with all types and have noticed if one is better than another? I'm having good luck with Petco's Ocean Water, but lugging 5 gallon boxes from the store, to the car, to the house, upstairs, into the tank...is a bit of a hassle. I'm wondering if I should just consider it a workout, or if there is a better path of least resistance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Petco doesn't. My LFS does sell RO/DI, but with the continuous cost of purchasing the water and salt separately, and still having to carry it everywhere and then mix, I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. I pay $11 for 5 gallons of ocean water. Making my own seems easiest since I only do 2 gallon water changes, but I'm a bit baffled when it comes to the world of RO/DI units and what salt mix is best.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I have only used my own RO/DI unit with several different brands of salt. Keep going back to Red Sea Coral Pro. I brought ocean water back once. What a chore that was.

As far as the actual change I do the following steps:
I add 20 gallons of RO/DI water to my mixing container.
Add salt and start the two power heads.
Place my siphon in my filter sock then start cleaning tank/rocks/sand.
Once clean I check pH, salinity, and alk of tank water.
Then check the same in mixed water.
Replace filter sock and start to pull 20 gallons of tank water from sump.
Replace the tank water with fresh mix.
Pump 20 gallons of old tank water down toilet.

Task time about 35 to 40 minutes.

I use the Red Sea salt because it mixes in 20 minutes.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I flip flop between making my own and buying from my lfs. I have the refurbished spectrapure 90gpd unit. I have to say, I prefer buying from the lfs. I get it from them for about $1.25 a gallon already salted. It makes water changes a breeze.

I have a 55g, a 7g and a 6g. So I need a lot of water though, that's why I got the rodi unit - so I wouldn't have to lug water from the lfs every week. What I wasn't prepared for was how LONG it takes to make water. And if you're not filling a large tub then you have to babysit it. I fill gallon jugs and I have to spend practically all day watching water get made. -.- Then there's the waste water. I wasn't prepared for the amount of waste water at all. For every gallon of good, pure water for the aquarium, I have about 4 gallons of waste water. I try to save it for watering plants, doing laundry, dishes, but there's just SO MUCH WASTE.

If all I had was the two nano's I'd just buy it from the LFS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used a plastic barrel to store my freshwater before and just put a harbor freight pump in it. Our fish store is .75 for salt water

·
What fish?
2,930 Posts
I flip flop between making my own and buying from my lfs. I have the refurbished spectrapure 90gpd unit. I have to say, I prefer buying from the lfs. I get it from them for about $1.25 a gallon already salted. It makes water changes a breeze.

I have a 55g, a 7g and a 6g. So I need a lot of water though, that's why I got the rodi unit - so I wouldn't have to lug water from the lfs every week. What I wasn't prepared for was how LONG it takes to make water. And if you're not filling a large tub then you have to babysit it. I fill gallon jugs and I have to spend practically all day watching water get made. -.- Then there's the waste water. I wasn't prepared for the amount of waste water at all. For every gallon of good, pure water for the aquarium, I have about 4 gallons of waste water. I try to save it for watering plants, doing laundry, dishes, but there's just SO MUCH WASTE.

If all I had was the two nano's I'd just buy it from the LFS.

My 6 chainber RODI unit makes 25 gallons in a hour. :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just buy 2 2.5 gallon jugs from walmart of the distilled water. Costs less than $4 and then I mix my own salt (Red sea coral pro). I put it all in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and a hob filter with no media to keep it mixed. Then done, nothing too hard and its cheap!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts