The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay all, first I want to say it is glad to be back, it has been forever since I wrote to you all. Recently I was given another 125 gallon tank and I badly want to set it up, but my wife went ape *@#$%. I have never seen her that mad. :funny:. I seriously had all the stuff I needed. I was about to build another in the wall tank It was going to be beautiful. I need advice please. I tried to give her the line that we would make it a quarintine tank, but she is not stupid. She knows a bit about fish tanks and said why would anyone have a 120 gal QT. All of you and I know that I would turn that into another monster reef tank, but I need to find a way to sell her into it. I would appreciate all of your ideas.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Why not just ask her why she got so upset about the new tank?
Woman are very smart and she probably has a good reason not to let you have another tank.
If it was my wife I say that she was mad because:

1. I am messy and leave fish stuff everywhere
  2. have not given her attention as she requires, a date, flowers etc; and she feels tha tank is responsible for it, imagine having to compete agains 2 tanks for your time
  3. spend too much money on it.
it is a touchy situation but talk to her and she will tell you. :agree:

·
Registered
152 Posts
AdamG said:
... but I need to find a way to sell her into it. I would appreciate all of your ideas.
Well dude, if you ever get that one figured out, you could probably write a book and retire.

Please don't forget us little people...

Seriously, I want to move from my 55 to a 90. You would think I had asked if I could bring another woman home. It weren't purdy.:eek:

-Brad

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
just hang the diamond earrings on a piece of coral in the new tank... I am still a bachelor and i don't even date right now... I have nothing. Girls are the biggest friggin enigma...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, too funny brad, luey, I do make a mess on occasion, but don't we all??? If there is one person out there that says they do not literally put 1 drop of water on the floor during a water change then they are a liar. I usually am very clean, but at times I drip water from my arms or hand after puting it in the tank. That I feel is acceptable as long as you wipe it up. :) For cring out load I plumbed fresh water through the ceiling to empty into my tank to top it off after it evaportates. Even new batches of water are plumbed and pumped from tubs in my basement to the main tank. There literally is no roomk for mess, exept for the occasional drip of water. lol.

As for attention.... You probally nailed it.... hmmmm I will buy her flowers maybe that will work :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
surprisingly enough, my wife gets along better with my pinball addiction than my tanks. I own 6 pinball machines, and I try to make it to at least one pinball convention per year. I dragged her butt to Dallas (9 hour drive one way) last year to the Texas Pinball Festival and while we were there, she even came up with the idea that we really need to get one for the living room because it's so hard for her to get down to the basement to play since there's nothing down there for our 3 year old to do. I've probably got about $8k tied up in my pinball machines. But if I ask for a couple hundred to get a new light for a tank, I get the dirtiest of looks.

I think the main reason is that the tanks seem to nickel and dime you. The pinballs, I spend a chunk of money up front, and I already have the tools and everything I need to make it work and clean it up. With a new tank, also comes new rock (you can't just "reuse" the rock you already bought once) a new skimmer, a new light, blah blah blah...

Good luck to you. I will say that I only wish everyone had a wife as cool as mine... the world would be a better place.

MitchelWB

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well... she is for a new tank just not 120 gallons she wants a smaller one. she said she would let me do a 75, but come on the 120 was just given to me..... I even have a tank that I can use for a wet dry. The only thing I will need to buy is a skimmer, lights and rock..... and fish and corals.... that's only 1-2k lol.. I guess she is right lol it is pretty expensive :)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wait.... what if I make it into a shark tank, just sand, no rock... that will be cool and cheaper right?

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
LOL..poor Adam...

Tell her that it would be much cheaper for you to use the 120 that was given to you instead of going out to buy a 75gal tank. :) Then you can get a whole bunch of oysters for the new tank and just tell her that you are slowly making her a new pearl necklace. ;)

Or...like Mitchel mentioned having another addiction.. you can pick some other hobby that is WAY more expensive..then start going on and on and on about it..and what you want to do with it...(occasionally throw out fictious dollar amounts that are astronomical). She will then think setting up the 120 would be better. ;)

Hey..need any more ideas, I am here for ya bud! :lol:

·
11,345 Posts
Man do I love my wife. I am building a 90 AND a 225 that i moved from the garage into the living room yesterday. She did tell me shes going to beat me with a frying pan in my sleep(and she will) if i dont finish, or at least clear the living room by the end of next week though. :blob:

Adam, i would go with buying her a car or some diamonds, or something else she wants that is worth more than what the tank is going to cost. That should buy you the opportunity as well as some house mess time!!

I did buy her a new car a couple of months ago...........

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Little Luey said:
My wife I say that she was mad because:
  1. I am messy and leave fish stuff everywhere
  2. have not given her attention as she requires, a date, flowers etc; and she feels tha tank is responsible for it, imagine having to compete agains 2 tanks for your time
  3. spend too much money on it.
. :agree:
This must be covered in the womens hand book because my wife said the same thing.

Try telling her a bigger tank is better in her sleep....or try to make it her idea some how and things will be done.:thumbup:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WAIT!!! I DID BUY HER A CAR 2 WEEKS AGO... MAN!!! I should use that. I bought her a new mustang GT convertible. I am so stupid, I should use that..... That works... good thinking fly Guy

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jeremy did ya ever think when I came back and posted I would stir up such a wife bashing thread???? lol :)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did get her to agree to a 500 in our new house :)

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Guys...this is what allowances are for! I've been married for 29 years and there are ALWAYS going to be things, that you each want, that the other thinks is a waste. So now we get an allowance each week. That money goes into a separate account and it's mine to do whatever I want. No questions asked. My wife collects gems. NOT jewelry, GEMS. Stupid little colored rocks. And she pays hundreds for them. Oh well....it's her money....:beer:

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
well... she is for a new tank just not 120 gallons she wants a smaller one. she said she would let me do a 75
Tell her that you want to put in a 500! Then she'll tell you a 225 will be ok :funny:

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmmmm.... allowance huh... that still won't work she will steal my money, lol. My wife is my office manager at my practice. She controls all the money. Trust me that is the best. I would screw it all up if I touched it. I just treat the patients she deals with insurance and collects the money. Maybe I can talk her into giving me an allowance though. Good Idea. I know I will waste it all on my tanks though.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
whatevva said:
Tell her that you want to put in a 500! Then she'll tell you a 225 will be ok :funny:
I already go her to agree to a 500 in our new house in Oregon, when we move.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts