The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to reef keeping and to this sight. I have recently purchased a flower pot thinking it was a hardy tank dweller however a friend of a friend of mine said that they have to have copipods and phytoplankton or they'll die in about 6 months.

I was wondering what you all have to say about this along with any other information you can provide me about my flower pot such as it's specific identification. I will attach a picture of it. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Welcome to TRT..

How old is your tank? As it is you have just purchased of the hardest corals to keep IMO. I keep Goniopora and have for years.
You can look in my Signature (at the bottom of my post) at my Mix 75 thread. I go in to some detail in this thread on keeping Goniopora. And what has worked for me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a new tank. I let it cycle for a couple months with live rock and sand than I slowly started adding a cleaning crew then fish and recently this flower pot. The guy who sold it to me said they were easy to take care of. Now I know better, I guess. It's a 46g acrylic bow front tank. It has about 35 lbs of live rock and 90lbs "live" sand. It's lighted by a 36" marineland Reef capable LED system. I also run a refugium supplemented by a magnum canister filter.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Well Im not going to lie to you.
1 your tank is to young to attempt this type of coral.
2 your light is not powerfull enough to provide for this corals demands.
3 this is just the top reasons why IMO you should take it back and find a new Coral guy.

Please dont think Im being hard on you, thats not my intention.. Just honest.

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
One of the first corals I bought was a Goni. LFS said it was easy. I killed in a couple months...haven't tried one since.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YARG!! I actually appreciate the honesty, thanks guys. I will definitely be getting a new coral guy but my options are limited.

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
You might be better off with limited options. Look online and see what kind of corals you want to keep. Then research the care of the corals. I use this
http://www.liveaquaria.com/
But dont rely on just that source, look around you'll find an overload of info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts