The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
how do I unstick an anenome from a rock?

your thoughts please. I need to know how to get a anenome off a rock, if there is a way.

Travis J

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
squid said:
There are several ways, but...why? is he close to something he shouldn't be?

The best way I know is to point a power head at him and he will move if he doesn't like it. Kinda like the stuborn child, do something he doesn't like and he'll move
He is on the back of a live rock and I dont get to see him. Dont quadricolor anem's like alot of light? Back there he isnt getting a whole lot of light. I am really nervous now i read on another thread that you shouldnt have anem's in a fairly new tank, thinking bout flushing them as much as I would hate too. They seem to be doing well though. Eating good and look good. Do they die suddenly or will I notice a decline before he would kick the bucket? I dont want him to die in the tank. The tank is only 3 months old

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
in my opinion it's too early of a tank for an anemone..

i also think you should do some research on it.. first, you cant make an anemone go where you want it to. it goes where it likes. move it and it will still go where it wants. keep moving it and you only cause it stress and it dies.

it went wherever it is because it likes that spot. it may change its mind and move someplace else. but it wont change its mind for you, and you wont change its mind.

please do not flush it. it wasnt yanked from its home in the ocean carried half way around the world in a plastic bag, to be bought by someone without the knowledge to care for it, only to be flushed down the toilet..

there are plenty of poeple that would be willing to take it or buy it. not to mention returning it to the lfs..

i REALLY hope this message doesnt sound crabby, just hoping to point you in the right direction to becoming a successfull reefer.

and btw welcome to trt :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well said Jay. I agree. I am an anenome lover. Some people buy an anenome to go with there clown fish. I bought a clown fish to go with my anenome.

Having said this, I wouldn't put one in a tank less than a year old. (I think Doug or Johnny said two years in a previous thread).

To answer your question about how they die, let's just say, there's not much left to take out of the tank. I've never actually seen one die, but I've seen dieing ones and they basically turn to jelly. And, they foul up your water pretty bad.

What are you feeding it?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
never seen one die.... here was my attempt at having one.... these two pictures were taken on: friday-the day i bought it.. and monday, three days later.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
What did you do with it Jay? Take it back to the LFS?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
no.. it was dead. i put it in a jar with some tank water and buried it in the backyard :(

asia and held a small funeral for it...

·
Registered
16 Posts
i kinda messed up on that year thing too, i got two about a month ago with my tank being only 4 mo. old, one is just fine, (dosen't move, growing, etc) the other,..........cant sit still, looked like fatmans pic for a day (i was worried) then was fine after that. i guess thats the last time i listen to the lfs on a 2 for $20!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dont have time to reply right now, but will reply to you treehuggers later :D

Thanks

Travis J

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
lol we'll be here travis :) just remember, no matter what you say to us tree huggers, you still wont change that anemones mind :funny:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thefatman said:
in my opinion it's too early of a tank for an anemone..

i also think you should do some research on it.. first, you cant make an anemone go where you want it to. it goes where it likes. move it and it will still go where it wants. keep moving it and you only cause it stress and it dies.

it went wherever it is because it likes that spot. it may change its mind and move someplace else. but it wont change its mind for you, and you wont change its mind.

please do not flush it. it wasnt yanked from its home in the ocean carried half way around the world in a plastic bag, to be bought by someone without the knowledge to care for it, only to be flushed down the toilet..

there are plenty of poeple that would be willing to take it or buy it. not to mention returning it to the lfs..

i REALLY hope this message doesnt sound crabby, just hoping to point you in the right direction to becoming a successfull reefer.

and btw welcome to trt :)
Hehe....first of all, I did do research on it and I read nothing about not putting it in a young tank, about the only thing I read was that it was the hardiest of anem's. I feed it with mush from a turkey baster every 2 or 3 days. It looks real healthy.

Second of all. I thought there might be a trick of the trade that somebody knew on how to move them.

I agree with you on not flushing it. But the knowledge part, I think I am taking pretty good care of them (I have 2). Being that the closest fish store is over 3 hours away, I am not going to consider that option. As for selling it, I would but cant get it off the live rock so thats not an option either Mr. Treehugger Crabbypants:D

Thanks for the welcome, I think.... But us Jarheads (marines) get a pretty thick skin after some years in the worlds most deadly fighting force. I know you werent trying to come across as a crab
:D Thanks for your knowledge, I guess I will just keep a close eye on them and hope they do well.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
ya know.. i was ready to apologize again for sounding crabby, and give ya another big tree hugger welcome to trt...then you mentioned being a marine :rolleyes:

"most deadly fighting force....oh please....you jarheads have nothing on us U.S. AMRY RANGERS :D

btw: there are a few of you misguided individuals on here, such as Doug1 and Buzzhog, both of them were also taken in by the misconception that the marines would be a good choice :funny: :funny:

now, had you been an Army Ranger, well now then we'd be able to be friends :)

:lol: just kidding. as a marine you know its standard practice and tradition to rib each other. i was a ranger for 4 years. fought in desert storm, and somalia, among other places.

i'm glad you did the research about the anemones before getting them. i did as well, but ignored it , and paid for it. TRT is a great place, friendly atmosphere, no flames allowed, etc... so we're glad to have you here.

as for moving the anemone, i really think you wont have much luck. they just go where they want. as long as it's healthy and eating, i'd leave it be.

you MAY be able to try moving the entire piece of rock it's attached too, if thats a possibility. however it may detach on its own, and stil go back to another place you dont like, due to flow or lighting desires.

good luck... and uh, i dont normally say this, its against my religion.. but umm.. Semper Fi :funny:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ya know, I posted how to get them to move, and was totally ignored. pointing the powerhead in their direction, making them NOT like where they are at and moving on their on WORKS. Are all jar heads and rangers deaf? lol

At the shop, that's how we would get them to move...this is how many of our customers got them to move. The anemonie will only stay where it is happy...well, make it unhappy and it will move again.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
we aren't deaf lise.... we just have a hard time hearing women, cuz they are usually nagging or complaining.. :eek:

if anyone needs me, i'll be hiding under the couch... don't tell lise where i'm at though :funny:

·
Registered
585 Posts
I wish I knew how to spell all the sounds that just came out of my mouth...YOU could be in real trouble here...been to the good doctor lately???? LOL

<looking all over this house for him> If anyone see's Jay..let me know, I think he needs a good a** kickin

·
Registered
290 Posts
squid said:
Ya know, I posted how to get them to move, and was totally ignored. pointing the powerhead in their direction, making them NOT like where they are at and moving on their on WORKS. Are all jar heads and rangers deaf? lol

At the shop, that's how we would get them to move...this is how many of our customers got them to move. The anemonie will only stay where it is happy...well, make it unhappy and it will move again.
I hate to but in but is the anemones happiness covered under the warrantee? ;) So like if I take him outta the water thats bad right?

In any event I use a turkey baster lil gentle jets of water and he'll move. Gotta be real real careful though cuz it's one reallllllllly thin layer of skin between him and the rock, and he wil tear.

be just as careful cuz healthy anemones are very sticky, and if you net him to move him he'll be stuck in the net.

Mike
Any resemblance to real or hallucinated anemones is not the intention of the producers of this post. No actual anemones were harmed during the making of this post.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"most deadly fighting force....oh please....you jarheads have nothing on us U.S. AMRY RANGERS

at least we can spell :) hehe, no I have been around some army guys and they aren't half bad :D

I will try the powerhead trick!!! Thanks for the advice.:p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts