The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a couple of frags of monti caps from my LFS yesterday, acclimated them and then removed them from their plugs. They were stuck into the rubber stopper of a long plastic tube filled with sand. I placed the frags into a dish and then poured all of the water from the bag over ito the container to wash them. The frag container was in a large shallow bowl. After mounting the frags, I went to clean up and found tiny red/brown bugs (maybe a couple millimeters in size) inside the larger bowl but none inside the frag conatiner. I don't have any pics, but how can I tell if they were red bugs? I looked at the frags in the tank and they don't appear to have anything on them, but they're so small I don't think I would be able to see them. What should I do?

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I've read some more and it seems like they are actually "yellow" in color and only infest acropora species. Does this sound right? If I only have monti species, they will starve and die or do I need to treat my tank?

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No acropora rihgt now. So how long will it take for the red bugs to starve to death?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I would start treating all new arrivals with Interceptor to play it safe ,they are yellow with red heads.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
ChrisPrusha said:
Casey...Interceptor?

Edit: Nevermind...this is the stuff that Dustin Dorton tested...I recall it now.
:thumbup: :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I understand, Intereceptor can only be gotten from a vet with a prescription. I don't think I wanna go through that much trouble. Is there another product I could use, like some coral dips with iodine?

The bugs that I saw weren't yellow - hopefully, they weren't red bugs. That's weird how red bugs are actually yellow.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
hng said:
From what I understand, Intereceptor can only be gotten from a vet with a prescription. I don't think I wanna go through that much trouble. Is there another product I could use, like some coral dips with iodine?

The bugs that I saw weren't yellow - hopefully, they weren't red bugs. That's weird how red bugs are actually yellow.
You can buy it online fron canada no prescription.

·
11,345 Posts
fishtank88 said:
do red bugs get as big as coepods?
LRB's ARE copepods. You can plan on the majority of your pods dying with the interceptor treatment. It is not difficult to get from your vet without a prescription, just be up front with them and tell them what you want it for. It wouldnt hurt to already have a short and sweet disclaimer written in their favor before you ask for it either. I didnt but my vet made me sign one before she would give it to me for a reef tank application.

·
Registered
274 Posts
ight cause i got what looks like a red bug crawling all over my polyps, would they affect them causing them to be closed all the time because that is what is happening to me(i think)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts