The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have herd of people growing their own live rock. if this is possible could some one explain to me what it requires. thank you. maybe a noob question, and maybe i dont hear of it becuse its nothing or maybe its pointless????

·
Registered
216 Posts
umm like what do you mean? growing the rock from nothing or what lol the only time ive ever heard growing live rock is buying dry rock and putting it in the tank with a piece of live rock and letting it spread to the dry rock or are you maybe talking about making your own rock out of like aggrocrete or w/e ?

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a ten gallon with a some rock in it how ever its not live. it there a way to get it live, or is it going to take years of leting live rock spreed on to it, and than is it completely live. just because it has the same bacteria on the out side of the rock that im trying to get live. how does the rock become live inside..... how do i turn this rock in to live rock??? what goes on when live rock is growing can i have fish in the tank? do i need fish in the tank? i have some live in my 55 should i put some in the ten and let it sit for a while, should i re cure the live rock with the dead rock?

·
Rock guy
682 Posts
the life from the live rock will spread to the dead rock, that is what happens when it is cultured in the ocean, the only difference is you wont get the variety of life that comes from the ocean, but all the good bacteria will spread. lots of people use mostly base rock with a small chunk of lr, just let it cycle and add live stock very slowly to give time for the bacteria to balance out. soon you will have lots of lr

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you, my next question, should i add other good bacterias to the tank. should i use a different kinds of live rock to get more bacterias.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,667 Posts
They don't grow.They stay the same size:lol:It's hard to say by a certain time frame(to manyvariabless,just when you add something the ammonia changes right away to nitrates(cycled).

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They don't grow.They stay the same size:lol:It's hard to say by a certain time frame(to manyvariabless,just when you add something the ammonia changes right away to nitrates(cycled).
i know rocks don't grow... but thank you how ever the weight would increase and i would say that is growing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts