The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the substrate from CC to fiji. Arigonate. How do I clen this finer sand? does it need to be cleaned?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
its a thin layer of sand depest 2" in some areas and its only in places that can be seen.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to know if I can just Vacum mine since its different and not as fine as yours is

·
Retired Wanderer
17,270 Posts
Naw just bend it with your hand that is not holding the nozzle...you will have to modulate the kink to keep suction and the sand will go up and down in the barrel of the vacuum. Try one that has the 2-3" barrel..not a peashooter little tiny thing.

Get a turkey baster to blow all the junk off your rocks first as well into the area of sand the big vacuum can fit into.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Add a sand sifting Goby and some Nassarius snails and watch them work there magic. I haven't vacuumed my sand in over 3 years, white as can be, zero problems. :nuts:

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
rchull, what type of sandsifting goby do you have? have you had him for three years? does he create much of a mess?

I am interested in amblygobius phalaena (brownbarred goby) but only if I wont have to feed my tank more than once or twice a day (want to be sure if I add a sandsifter, he wont starve)

·
Registered
299 Posts
I had 2 sandsifters for 2 years, but then someone told me they deplete the sandbed of nutrients, probably a bunch of crap, but they didn't do much anyways other than bury themselves. I've had the Nassarius snails for 3 years and the Diamond Watchman Gobie for 6-7 months now. I also have 2 Fighting Conches that help out as well. I had 2 gobies but the smaller one starved last week and he disappeared in his cave he dug. 1 is definitely enough. They made a mess for about 2 weeks, but that was all the detritus that was being stirred and sifted, after that I blew everything off with a turkey baster and haven't had a problem since. There are hardier sandsifting gobies out there, I'm sure someone will pop up and tell us eventually.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
rchull69 said:
I had 2 sandsifters for 2 years, but then someone told me they deplete the sandbed of nutrients, probably a bunch of crap, but they didn't do much anyways other than bury themselves. I've had the Nassarius snails for 3 years and the Diamond Watchman Gobie for 6-7 months now. I also have 2 Fighting Conches that help out as well. I had 2 gobies but the smaller one starved last week and he disappeared in his cave he dug. 1 is definitely enough. They made a mess for about 2 weeks, but that was all the detritus that was being stirred and sifted, after that I blew everything off with a turkey baster and haven't had a problem since. There are hardier sandsifting gobies out there, I'm sure someone will pop up and tell us eventually.
Actually, any sand shifting animal will deplete the sand bed of the animals that make the sand beed work, (pods, bristle worms, etc.). The reason these sand shifting anymals shift the sand is to look for food, they usually find it.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I stir the sand in my frag tank with a stick as I do a water change works great.

·
Registered
851 Posts
zxcv123 said:
:lol:

you said you had play sand--------- Thats like really really really fine.
I know. I was just kidd'n. Actually my sand isnt really very fine. Its got all different grain sizes. Kinda weird for play sand, but some pieces are as big as Crushed Coral, and some are as small as a grain of salt.

I did take you advice however and basted and did the water change last night. This morning when the lights came on, the tank looks awesome. Clear water and bright white sand. :)

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Hey tims how did you like my leopard print pajamas ;)

(wait, that sounded really bad.)

Anyways, Tims, my sandbed (I just added some sand) is now about two inches deep. I was kinda hoping some anaerobic areas would form to help process nitrate. could i/should i still siphon if I want to keep it looking clean? thanks. (maybe if i just siphon the front, some of the back areas will remain undisturbed enough to form the anaerobic areas....)

If I go the other route and get a bar/dragon goby, I understand there will be little to no anaerobic areas and I will have less diversity in my sandbed. which way would you go?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts