The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting close to adding sand to my new 30 gal tank and I was wondering how deep should it be? I'm not trying to open a can or worms here, I know there is considerable debate on the topic. I'm just asking for real life practical info. I was thinking of about 2-3 inches for some denitrification but not too deep. What's everyone else doing?

HG

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
1-2 here. I would go with the minimum amount that you need to make it look nice. IMO, you really don't need a SB for denitrification. LR takes of that just fine. The only reason I would want a deeper SB would be to make the tank a bit "dirtier" for the softies.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
1 3/4 to 2" of ls. If you have 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of lr per gallon of water you don't really need it any deeper. Anyone disagree? I've just been going according to what I've been reading everywhere on the net.

·
Registered
436 Posts
5" in main display. And 3" in my refugium..

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Petunia said:
1 3/4 to 2" of ls. If you have 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of lr per gallon of water you don't really need it any deeper. Anyone disagree? I've just been going according to what I've been reading everywhere on the net.
You actually don't need ANY sand, unless you like the look of it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
That's what I thought Mike. Thanks. I'm going to go with the naked-bottom in my nano, once I get the thirty gallon up and going.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Put 20 lbs in my 24 gallon and it varies from one to three inches. just using it for looks. The snales like it and my scooter hides in it at night. Gona go bare botton on my two gallon nano.:worm:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Mine varies but the majority is 5-6 inches so that my jawfish is happy and because I like DSB for the purposes of greater diversity of fauna.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
reefBoyDc said:
You actually don't need ANY sand, unless you like the look of it.
I have both, one system with a 15 cm sugar-fine aragonite sawnd bed, another with a bare bottom. Which has better color for stony corals, it depends on the time of year and how good I have been about keeping up maintenance. If the BB tank is ket clean and the phosphate reactor is appropriately set u, the bb system usually has the edge. Which one is easier to keep?

DSB definitely, esp if you have aquasculptured your tank with a good bit of rock. The DSB system will prolly reuire a remake in another 2 or 3 years (AT THAT TIME IT WILL BE 6 YRS OLD), but until I start seeing issues with algae, I think I prefer it over the once a week siphoning and misc maintenance issues needed to keep the nitrates down and the system relatively detritus free.

If your system is a mixed bag of stonies and octocorals, I'd go with a DSB, but if it is only for stony corals (and especially what is known in the hobby as "SPS" corals), then there are better results with a BB system.

I am currently finializing the setup of a pair of 135G tanks for a comparison of one to the other in terms of what the maintenance level actually is to maintain two duplicate systems (where the DSB is the only difference as well as whatever plumbing, etc differences are needed to support each system). I'll be using dupicate frags for each system so there should be little difference in speciation to throw things off.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,687 Posts
I am currently finializing the setup of a pair of 135G tanks for a comparison of one to the other in terms of what the maintenance level actually is to maintain two duplicate systems (where the DSB is the only difference as well as whatever plumbing, etc differences are needed to support each system). I'll be using dupicate frags for each system so there should be little difference in speciation to throw things off.
You HAVE to post a thread on this, it sounds like a KILLER experiment, and I will be following it!!

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
I think there is one started in the think tank, but I do not think it is an obvious title for the thread...

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
if you are just going for looks than i would actually suggest a CC SB. that way when you do the water changes you can get midevil on it with a siphon and not have to worry about sucking up the sand when removing the detritus. if you are looking for the critters in a DSB than i would not go below a 3" depth.

G~

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, here's a follow up question: what type of sand does everyone use? I bought special reef grade aragonite sand. It's a little bigger than the oolitic or sugar sized sand.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i have a inch and half of tahitian moon sand, just wanted something differnt. i have a little crushed coral mixed in just to add some white here and there. looks pretty cool imo.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Sugar sizsed is just an average, it has snd granules down into the silt diameters. This is to increase the amount of surface area for biobilms. Somewhere in the Think Tank I did the calcs for the amount of surface area in a cubic centimeter of aragonite sugar-sized sand based on some averages. It is in acres...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts