The Reef Tank banner

how can you increase flow on a hang on overflow?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  thefatman 
#1 ·
I just help a friend set up a 65 gal tank. he has a hang on overflow. He is use a gen-x 4100 in sump pump. the single over flow j-tube cound not keep up with the pump so we added a second j-tube and it still wont keep up. the over flow will drain fast enough we just can,t get the j-tubes to pull enough.
do they make bigger j-tubes? I think these are 3/4 do they make 1 inch.
Has anyone made there own?
Any advise would be great.
Randy

#5 ·
that'd be my guess too is making your own u tubes out of pvc. and some elbows. either two CURVED 90's, or 4 - 45's might be abit bulky though.

my other thought is that with the two u tubes they ARE pulling enough and it really IS the drain that's not up to snuff. what size is the drain? may try upgrading that to 1 1/4" or even 1 1/2"

#7 ·
Thanks for the feed back. The quick fix is a ball valve on the return line to slow the pump. I check with gen-x and they are pressure rated so no worrys there. The pump is rated for about 700 gal at 4 feet. we will swap the over flow for a dual over flow or look at adding a closed loop later.
Thanks for the imput
Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.