The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple simple questions for you BB'ers, there is a reason I am asking BTW.

1. What kind of return (from sump) pump do you use?
2. What do you figure the return flow (from sump) is after headloss?
3. How big is your tank?
4. How big is your sump?

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Detritus is not a pet
386 Posts
1) Mag 12
2) Probably about 700-800 GPH
3) 75 Gallons
4) 30 gal Perfecto Tank ( no baffles)

I like having a slower flow rate through the sump (in/out), but I keep a powerhead in there to keep as much as possible in suspension for the skimmers to P/U. HTH

·
Registered
682 Posts
On my 120:
30-gallon sump
Iwaki MD-55RLT
750 gph

On my 155:
29-gallon sump
Iwaki MD-30RLXT
900 gph

On my 180:
29-gallon sump
Little Giant 3-MDQX-SC
900 gph

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is what we have so far, these are tank to sump turnover rates/percent of tank that is sump.

Gman
10X / 40%

Weatherman
120- 6.25X / 25%
155- 5.80X / 18%
180- 5.00X / 16%

Motorslave
4.66X / 36%

NoSchwag
7.5X / 33%

Spanky
6.67X / 50%

Geoff
5.2X / 40%

Average Tank to sump turnover-6.38X
Average Sump size as a percentage of main tank size - 32.25%

So far Gman is the winner for highest Sump/tank turnover at 10X
So far I am the winner for lowest Sump/tank turnover at about 4X

So far Spanky is the winner for largest sump size relative to tank size, his sump being 50% (exactly half) of his tank size.
So far Weatherman's 180 is the winner for lowest sump size relative to tank size at 16%.

Thanks for the replies everyone, it gives me a better idea of where I need to be.

Whiskey

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
the way i had my tank before i moved the sump 45' away to the basement, it did not have a sump at all. for the most part i ran my skimmer directly off the overflow. the skimmer than dumped into a large 4" section of PVC pipe that contained the heater and the in/outs of the inline chiller.

in this case my stats were.

1. Velocity T1 through a Kent Venturi valve
2. 400gph
3. 125g
4. skimmer + Overflow + heater/chiller area maybe 7g.

G~

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Geoff said:
the way i had my tank before i moved the sump 45' away to the basement, it did not have a sump at all. for the most part i ran my skimmer directly off the overflow. the skimmer than dumped into a large 4" section of PVC pipe that contained the heater and the in/outs of the inline chiller.

in this case my stats were.

1. Velocity T1 through a Kent Venturi valve
2. 400gph
3. 125g
4. skimmer + Overflow + heater/chiller area maybe 7g.

G~
Your desprate to win something aren't you? :lol:

Ok, the winner for the Lowest sump volume is Geoff, with 5.6% sump volume, compaired to tank volume.

;)
Whiskey

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
gen-x 4
800-900 g.p.h
75gal tank
30 gal sump .
whiskey , one thing your not taking in to account is that just because someone uses say a 30 gal sump and someone uses a 55 gal sump you have to take into consideration what each person keeps there sump level at .
so say even though someone uses a 55 gal sump but they keep only 4 inches of water or roughly 15 gals of water and the next guy uses a 30 gal and keeps the level 2 inches (not wise i know ) from the top so he has what ? maybe 25-27 gallons of water . so the second person has more water volume than the first person and person b hasn't had to sacrafice as much room !
where am i going with all this ? don't really know ! its just been a long week and i'm glad its friday !:)

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
:lol:

i just feel that the whole added volume thing for stability is blown out of proportion. keeping BB tanks makes things easy to clean up. there also does not seem to be the need for large volumes of water needed to hide a lot of the equipment that was necessary with DSB's.

if absolute silence was not the priority for my rebuild i would have kept the sump volume to an absolute minimum again. skimmers are just very difficult to make silent so i had to move it 45' away to be convenient.

Spanky do you just use the extra volume in the sump for WC. drain half the sump of old water before putting in half new?

G~

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
whiskey , one thing your not taking in to account is that just because someone uses say a 30 gal sump and someone uses a 55 gal sump you have to take into consideration what each person keeps there sump level at .
so say even though someone uses a 55 gal sump but they keep only 4 inches of water or roughly 15 gals of water and the next guy uses a 30 gal and keeps the level 2 inches (not wise i know ) from the top so he has what ? maybe 25-27 gallons of water . so the second person has more water volume than the first person and person b hasn't had to sacrafice as much room !
where am i going with all this ? don't really know ! its just been a long week and i'm glad its friday !
That is not really what I am going for here, most sumps are standard sizes, I am looking to see how long of a sump you use to keep the microbubbles from the return with the return flow you have.

Plus it is another number to caculate ;)

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
1) Mag 36
2) 2800 gph
3) 3-90 gallon RR in tandem
4) 125 filled almost all the way to the top.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hit reply by mistake, touchpad,.....

Anyway, I decided to check the flow out of the quietone at 3 foot head (my stand is really low), so I put a 1 gallon jug in the tank and directed the return into it,... it took 40 seconds to fill a 1 gallon jug!

That is pathetic!!! about 100 GPH, so the Mag 7 went back on. I always figured the mag 7 put out about 500 GPH at my tank, but no.....

the Mag 7 only returns just under 200 gph!!!!!! 21 seconds to fill the jug!!!

No wonder I have a problem with nitrate!!

I have the Mag 7 return running right now, and the output from my UV also going directly into my tank for a total return of about 300GPH but any more and I will have major micro-bubble problems. Something is wrong here, I need to find out what.

Whiskey

1 - 20 of 24 Posts