The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im still trying to get a mental picture on what a spraybar looks like. Ive seen a couple of pictures of what it looks like but was wondering how big are the holes that you guys are drilling in the pvc, and how big a pipe are you using. Thanks again, oh and if you guys have any good pics of it , it would be really really really helpful

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
That all depnds on the pump. I make my spray bars the same size diameter as the pump is set up for. The holes will be dictated by the length of the bar and volume of the pump. Its always been a trial and error thing for me but usually around 3/4 or a bit smaller. The thing to keep in mind with a spray bar is that it takes alot of volume going through it to make it effective.
Also, from the point that the water enters the spraybar. you want the holes farther apart than they will be as they get farther away from the entrance into the bar.
On a 55 I had, I had a length of 3/4 PVC running the entire distance along the back of the tank. It was pushed by an external pump rated at 850gph. It could have used an even bigger pump.
How are you going to be setting this up? What kind of pump do you have if you have one already?

Robert

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Spraybars are a tool that are way under utilized in my opinon. They can do so much for our tanks by not only adding flow but also by keeping hard to reach ares clean and even making maintainence easier. A little thought about what we want them to do in a tank can really go a long way! Let me dig up some pics of the one for my 150.....

Robert

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah well I was thinking about running the spraybar straight across the back of my 75 gallon tank. I havent gotten the pump since I was originally thinking of using my mag 18 but I hear they arent pressure rated so Im thinking of getting that velocity pump (think it was a t4) that is rated at about 1200 gph. That is unless theres a better pump recommended. I do like the sound of having a real quiet pump.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This will be an over the back unit, I wish I would have drilled my tank for it but Ive already got my tank setup and then learned about the spraybar. Yeah Ive heard the only drawback to the pump is a little heat transfer, but I figured that a submerged mag 18 would probably transfer just as much.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Okay, heres a few pics of the way I did the 150. In the 55 the spraybar just sat on the bottom of the tank but stuff built up behind it so I changed the design a bit for this tank. It is elevated so there is flow behind it and I even have holes to direct some flow back there to keep things clean. Works like a charm. Another benefit to this design is that is acts like a rack to set the rock on which keeps the flow good under there.

Robert

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats funny, now that youve posted these pics.... this is exactly the one I was looking at to guide me. I really like the design since it will help me lift the rocks as well as maintain good flow. I couldnt make out the size of the holes you made though thats why i was aking around. did you point alot of the holes to the back? was it like a 50/50 of front to back?

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Here is mine. I ended up using 3/4" and srilled just a little smaller than 1/4" hole....(think):doh:

I placed holes down ona 45* and up on a 45*. My attempt was to push whatever settled to the front of the tank. Seems to work good.

Holes were probably ~1.5"-2" apart? I have probably ~2000GPH flow through this spray bar and the reamaining 1600GPH spread through the four other jets!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Id say more like 80/20. But, I also have two returns that point down, one on each side of the overflow tower, that help in that area as far as sweeping those corners. Kinda aimed at the back edge. The ones in front are aimed straight down and forward/down. The ones aimed down keep directly under the bar clean and the other ones catch wat comes from under and blow it forward to the front of the tank whaere the gunk is suspended by the rest of the flow, or settle in an area easy to siphon. Not sure of the size exactly but right around 1/4" or a tad smaller. But this thing is part of a much bigger CLS pushed by a Sequence barracuda so there is alot of water moving through the entire CLS. that pump gave me the volume to make a ton of holes so I could get excellent coverage.

Robert

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Here's mine whole back shots

My inspiration came from motorslave as well!:dance:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
motorslave said:
Glad i could be of some use 110!!!:banana:

Robert

some......A LOT :thumbup:

So now I try to give back!;)

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do you point any of the holes straight down. I would think it would kick the sand up. Heres my idea and let me know if itll work. itll have 90's on the ends that will have holes drilled in parallel to the rest of the spraybar in order to keep the stuff out from under it. Then I would drill holes on the bar 2 inches apart going from the elbow in the order of the first one pointing foward at a 45 degree angle towards the sand, the second one would be pointing towards the back at a 45 towards the sand, the third towards the front at 45 pointing down and then the last one pointing front and up at 45 and then start over again. Hope it was clear. ( cliff note version would be front down, back down, front down, front up.... and repeat)

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
110galreef said:
I put my LR on PVC shelves and put no sand under the rock, just in front.

Like this!
Thats what I would do with a sand bed. Less chance for detritus to settle. If you dont see the area the sand is pushed away from dont sweat it. The holes can really be in any aray you want. Just take some time and try to visualize what you need the flow to do as far as where you want it to go. Then just drill accordingly! Best part of it is that PVC is cheap and since its an over the back you can make adjustments or even just redo the whole piece. You can even make a couple ahead of time and plug the garden hose in to them to get an idea of how they will act in the tank. Thats actually what Ive done, then you can see what the result is. Buy a couple sticks of pipe and mess around with it a bit. Its a good way to get what you want and learn a little about flow characteristics. Thats how I learned as it was a total shot in the dark for me to start with!

Robert

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Also as 110 said, having the rock elevated off of the sand is a strongly recomended thing to do. Id the rock is sitting in the sand, it can eventually wick any nutrients that may collect in the sand over time and this can lead to nasty little issues like algae outbreaks. Plus it allows for the flow to do its thing.

Robert

1 - 19 of 19 Posts