The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious..... I just emptied my colection bottle from my skimmer with is a 1 quart aquafina bottle. it was about half full and had not been emptied in about one week. when it was dumped in the tolet the sulfer smell about knocked my over?

Does everybody elses skimmate smell the same? or do my fish just have really smelly poo?:confused:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
worse than bad, actually worse than the worse thing ive ever smelled. its really bad.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have smelled dead people that did not smell this bad.

·
Registered
366 Posts
fchidsey said:
I have smelled dead people that did not smell this bad.
I've smelled a car wreck full of blood that sat in the sun for a few days all locked up, definately smelled worse than anything that's come out of my tanks in any way, shape, or form.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so maybe dead body smell worse.... but this stuff was ready to knock me out. I think I might needd to skim a little more wet.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I don't particularly think it's the worst smell in the world. Baby poo, dead bodies and cat poop smell worse to me! I guess to each their own!

HHC

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Eh..not as bad as it tastes. ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just upgraded my skimmer to a Turboflotor from a [junk] Sea Clone [/junk]. With my old Sea Clone I would only gather a small amount of skimmate in the cup between water changes, and I could wash it out in the sink with only a slightly offensive odor. But with the Turboflotor (and I assume any decent skimmer), I have to empty the cup every 3 days and the stench is wretched - I have to clean it outside or the entire office reeks of an open grave!

-Brad

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,658 Posts
You know what is interesting? Since removing my fish the skimate from my 50 G tank just sarted stinking again, I still pull about 1 gallon every 2 days, but now it smells.

I don't know why it stoped stinking, or why it started again, but it was more plesent to empty when it didn't ;)

Whiskey

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
not sure if your familiar with sewer smell, but its exactly like that.
very strong sewer
im from nyc, the streets would often smell like that after a sewer backup :rotflmao:

i have the prizm deluxe

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
theplatypus said:
WHy are people smelling skimmate?
My skimmer is a Sea Life. It is locally made in florida, it works ok I guess, I'll know when i get a new one.

EVERYBODY HAS AN INNER CHILD :doh:

Fred

1 - 20 of 42 Posts