The Reef Tank banner

Houston we got a problem!!

3K views 36 replies 7 participants last post by  kevin32 
#1 ·
Hi guys I need some help identifying this growth on my rocks. I had my 40gallon tank set up in July 2011. So it's almost 5 months old. I'm currently using only one power head (hydor koralia evolution 750mpg) to create movement in the water. Infact I test my water today and it's within normal limit except Nitrate is in the 40ppm, which is HIGH in my opinion. I'm gonna go another water change on Friday to remove some of the nitrate as much as possible (5gallon water change).

I feed twice a day for my (Maroon clown, chromis, Scooter Blenny, and 6 Line wrasse), mostly Pellets and mysis shrimp for my blenny. Occasional live blood worms for blenny.

Anyways can anyone help determine which this stuff is on my rocks.

It's the black icky stuff that I'm taking about. Doesn't look like coraline algae.......???

Not sure if that is Cyanobacteria, red algae, diatom?

Here's a video of it.

See less See more
#7 ·
From my inspection it looks like dead algae to me. I remember I didn't have it at all, but once I put using the power head to blow at the live rocks the thing started to grow. I try to use my siphon tube to take out as much as possible but there is still some on it. I'm consider taking the rock out and give it a scrub.

It was initially all over the rock but I was able to get the most of it off the top of the rock without touching the aquascaping.

BTW, it does NOT have any texture to it. Kinda freak me out because I thought it was coraline algae at first but then as it got worse i knew it was not coraline algae.

Do you guys still recommend I siphon all of it out or leave it?

#9 ·
I would siphon it out. If it easily comes off the rock that can mean it's dead or that it's a slime algae etc.

I would still like to see a close up photo.
It definitely comes off pretty easily. I was able to use my turkey baster and blow it off. I'll upload a picture of it on friday when I do my water change.

At this point i'm not sure if i should start growing coral or wait it out a bit.

#12 ·
I had extra time so I went ahead and took out the rock and try to clean it as much as possible.

This must be Red slime algae??

Here's the black icky stuff I was talking about... boy does it looks nasty!

So what you guys think it is?

#14 ·
I have no clue because I usually dont test for Phosphate. I should start to now... I use RO water not tap water for water change and top off.

I'm gonnna go back to weekly water change of 5gallon a week. Hopefully that will help out. The light i'm currently using is T12 which is very weak. Not sure if decrease the amount of each day would help decrease this algae.

Also I"m have elevated nitrates, not sure what is causing it. I usually clean my filter media (in sump) once or twice a month.... too little?

#15 ·
The low lighting is going to help with the algae. You might try some phos remover.

I have had dealings with this before and it was due to some die off in my tank. (lost some corals). But the phos remover I do not remember the name but it was a pad like a dense floss. Took out heavy metals, phos, nitrate and so on. That 20% water changes and cutting the light time, took about 2 weeks to clear up. But it did clear up eventually.

I would say though your initial problem could have been the low light. May have not been enough to support algaes/sponges and additional growth on your LR. Triggering die off and elevating your nitrate and phosphate levels.

#16 ·
The low lighting is going to help with the algae. You might try some phos remover.

I have had dealings with this before and it was due to some die off in my tank. (lost some corals). But the phos remover I do not remember the name but it was a pad like a dense floss. Took out heavy metals, phos, nitrate and so on. That 20% water changes and cutting the light time, took about 2 weeks to clear up. But it did clear up eventually.

I would say though your initial problem could have been the low light. May have not been enough to support algaes/sponges and additional growth on your LR. Triggering die off and elevating your nitrate and phosphate levels.
Hopefully with water change every week, clean filter pad, and less lighting can help lower the nitrate.

Hm... I didn't think low light would cause harm since I thought the algae feed on light and with low light they would grow/develop less. You did bring up a good point where the light i have now can't sustain them and cause them to die off, which definitely make sense.:beer:

Anyways I 'm upgrading to a Coralife T5 Lunar very soon, just waiting for it to ship to my house.

I'm afraid with the new light more bad algae will grow in my tank. I'll definitely start of with 4 hours a day and slowly increasing it to 6-8 a day, with 2-3 hours of LED lunar to finish the night.

#20 ·
Seeing the new photos It's cyanobacteria, known as cyano, or red slime algae.

Pretty easy to get rid with water changes. You just have to make sure the tank isn't overfed or overstocked as well or it will keep coming back.

Phosphates contribute to it, but it likes nitrates a lot too so both have to be low.
Darn, I hope it was not the cyano but I only feed my fish twice a day. Anyways there this new LFS that sell RODI water for .25cent a gallon so I'll give that a try since I'm already paying .20cent for just RO water.

I'll definitely keep up with the water change. Again thanks for all those who helped I really appreciate it. It's people like you guys that make this hobby such a joy by sharing and help others.

Thanks again guys. :beer::beer:

#22 ·
You're welcome!

If you have a sump, I recommend growing some cheatomorpha algae in there since it will absorb phosphates and nitrates out of the water.
I'm really considering that, although I dont have a separate tank for a refugium I guess my sump would still work. Just gotta remove all the filter pad and add some big chuck of live rocks.

BTW, what type of lighting is require to keep the chaetomorpha algae alive? How many hours should the light be on?

#24 ·
Cool thanks, well my sump is all set up just need to buy the chaetomorpha, some more live rocks, and small lighting it would be all good. :thumbup:

I receive my Coralife T5 lunar today, man the white bulb is NICE. Very bright..love it. Love the additional LED moonlight as a bonus.

I'll probably get my first coral in a week or so. Thanks guys for all the help.

#25 ·
Here's my latest update to the tank, got the Coralife T5 Lunar in. Love it.

#29 ·
Went to the LFS to buy some RODI water for WC, they only charge .25cent per gallon for RODI. You guys think that is a good price? I'm already paying .20cent for RO and with extra .05cent per gallon I can get RODI.

Anyways that same store had some beautiful coral, they had the Red Hornet with 3 polyps for $75....:eek:

Are they worth $25 per polyp?

For the chaetomorpha is the lighting MANDATORY for them since I'm kinda lazy to go buy one?

Definitely loving this hobby besides fishing...:funny:

-Gonna go and pick up some Radioactive dragon eye and others for 5bux a frag.

#31 ·
That's a reasonable price for the water.

Personally I don't think it's worth $25 a polyp but that's me. Value is up to each person. In terms of what they usually run for, that's a fair price. I normally see them for $30ish so, that's about right.

Yes, you need the light. It's photosynthetic.
Since I change water 4 times a month and that only cost me about 5 bux straight up no tax, not bad.

The Red Hornet definitely looks nice, but the most I will pay for one polyp is $20, but hey maybe I'll get lucky.

Darn guess I'll have to go buy a cheap one. how long do I turn the light on for?

#34 ·
Thanks guys I was considering another 750gph, still deciding on it. The cheap light I was referring to grow the chaetomorpha but hope for the best.

So far so good, just taking each step at a time.:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.