The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many hours of 130W PC light do you think I need for a FOWLR tank. I'm currently going with 9 hours, but have heard everything from 6 - 12 hours. Also, do most of you leave your lights on for one steady period, or break the total hours up between the morning and night time?

thanks

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
sharky61 said:
How many hours of 130W PC light do you think I need for a FOWLR tank. I'm currently going with 9 hours, but have heard everything from 6 - 12 hours. Also, do most of you leave your lights on for one steady period, or break the total hours up between the morning and night time?

thanks
Here is what I do
Actinics come on at 10 am. Then day lights come on at 12. Day lights go off at 8, and actinics go off at 10.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
I would leave it constant, unless of course you have a FO then you could prob. break it up to avoid algae blooms?, a good rule of thumb is from 8-12 hours. the reason to do less would be if you are having heat issues. I would make any lighting changes slowly if you have corals to acclimate them to the change. HTH

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
If it's only going to be FO, then I agree having on the lights for 12 hours is great so you can watch them. But it depends on the tank setup too, how close is it to a window (natural light)? The reason I ask is you can get algae blooms because of too much light - - if that happens and your fish aren't eating all the algae, you might have to cut back on the lighting hours.

HHC

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your replies.... Just FYI, the tank gets no direct natural light, only ambient room light. Leaving the light on for 12 hours (most days) doesn't make sense for me, since I'm not home most of the day to enjoy it, unless of course the LiveRock NEEDS that much light. I'm really trying to find the needed amount of lighting time the Liverock needs.. thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts