The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UGH well today was tragic hehe.... i noticed at about noonish today that both my new true percula clowns (pair) i recently bought friday we're doin fine and dandy just wigglin inside my bulb anemone i have had for about 2 weeks.... and about 4-5pm i noticed one was missing... so i waited and waited for maybe him to come out of the cleaning spot (where my cleaner shrimp hangs) or if he was maybe hiding somewhere.... well he never showed so my first thought was **** maybe he jumped out the back, or maybe he got eaten by my serpent star, or maybe the anemone ate him (which i doubted).... well turns out at 11 i was getting up to get some water and noticed something orange in the anemone besides the other shark bait.... and confirmed the worst! this.....

sorry for the crappy picture but i grabbed the first thing that could take pictures near me before i scooped it out.... it seems in the shadow of the night the anemone let go of some of his earlier meal.... the missing clownfish... i am so pissed at the anemone as both the true perc's we're really significantly colored with really thick black outlines.... now there is only one left and i am scared for him as i hope the anemone doesnt eat both.... and to think they were a pair too...

But the deed done here may be my fault aswell... seeing as the bulb anemone i just bought and for the 2 weeks i have had him he hasnt eaten anything... well i used to have a long tentacle anemone and was used to just feeding it by putting frozen krill or silversides against its tentacle and the LT would snatch it up with his tentacle... didnt know that my bulb wont use his tentacles he actually just opens his mouth and pushed out a little of his mouth and sucks it in.... cause today after the clown went missing i fed him for the first time because he wouldnt eat so i was trying to force feed him by putting it on his mouth and noticed it was open (feeding him a silverside)

anywho i am going on and on.... basically i am worried about the other shark bait and wondering your guys' opinions on the matter

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good god! Another reason to add to my list of "reasons not to get an anemone just yet" lol. What a monster man. That's crazy to hear especially since you really enjoyed the company of those clowns. Is the dead clown the big pink thing that looks like a tongue in the second picture?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good god! Another reason to add to my list of "reasons not to get an anemone just yet" lol. What a monster man. That's crazy to hear especially since you really enjoyed the company of those clowns. Is the dead clown the big pink thing that looks like a tongue in the second picture?
yup it is! its actually a half digested clownfish =/

·
Registered
694 Posts
If the clown died, the anemone might eat it. Without the slime coat a clown is just like any other dead fish to the anemone, food. I highly, highly doubt that your anemone ate a live clownfish. For one thing a bubble tip would have a h.ell of a time eating anything alive with its relatively weak stinging cells.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the clown died, the anemone might eat it. Without the slime coat a clown is just like any other dead fish to the anemone, food. I highly, highly doubt that your anemone ate a live clownfish. For one thing a bubble tip would have a h.ell of a time eating anything alive with its relatively weak stinging cells.
benni thanks but thats exactly what i said... please read "or maybe the anemone ate him (which i doubted)...." like i said i doubt it was the anemone but anything is possible... not much in my tank to kill the clown.... pristine water... no predatory fish.... and he was in good condition the last time i saw him alive.... normal breathing, not stressed, eating etc.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Crazy, Crazy, Crazy just another mystery of the saltwater hobby. At least you found the fish so you know what happened "kinda". you gotta love when stuff just disappears! Sorry for your loss

·
Registered
1 Posts
My yellow tang disappeared yesterday, i looked all around the tank, took all rocks away and nothing. Finally this morning, the poor fish came out of the anemone's month -well what's left of him. I want to get rid of the anemone but since my clownfish looks so happy in it, i don't know what to do. Can it really be that the anemone actually hunted down a healthy mid sized yellow tang?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts