The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lower level family room is coming along nicely with the newly added pool table and the existing aquarium. However, one thing is missing....a good home theater system.

I want to definitely do a flat screen. Any advice on weather to go with LCD or plasma? Any brand recommendations? Also, I do not have a lot of room for the left front speaker since I do not want to obscure access and view to my tank. Are there any good "flat" speakers that mount on the wall ?

Next is the receiver...any recomemndations on brands, features, things to look for?

The last thing is price and where to shop: online? local? brands?

Anything else to consider or any other advice is welcome. TIA

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
you can probably check out a cambridge sound works or a tweeter and see what they have for stuff. There are soo many brands out there right now. Go and listen to some whole set ups and see what you like. I have the cheapy KLH brand with yamaha speakers i got for i think 200 total or something like that a few years back just for my room. It absolutely pounds. Bose are probably the best speakers around, but can be very pricey.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Have you looked at getting a projector and a nice screen? You can get a very good picture pretty large with one. I was contemplating a plasma or LCD but I think im going to get a projector. Plasmas don't last as long. LCD are nice because you can change the bulb and get a fresh start unlike plasmas which you might as well throw away. Projectors just change the bulb out as well.
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/
http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/lcdtelevision.html

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Projector

Yes I am considering it. My only worry is that my tank is in the same room, really close to where the screen would go (on the abutting wall).

I heard that projectors need a dark room and that might be tough with the MH lightiing. What do you think?

Tasher80 said:
Have you looked at getting a projector and a nice screen? You can get a very good picture pretty large with one. I was contemplating a plasma or LCD but I think im going to get a projector. Plasmas don't last as long. LCD are nice because you can change the bulb and get a fresh start unlike plasmas which you might as well throw away. Projectors just change the bulb out as well.
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/
http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/lcdtelevision.html

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I heard that it is the black that is the problem. The color of the black will only be
as good as the white screen in the room. So if the room is dark, you are ok. Contrast ratio
probably helps minimize this effect though.

I also read that plasmas are much more reliable and last longer than
they did when they originally came out.

Next year, a Canadian Company, iFire, is planning to market
a Thick Film Dielectric Electo-Luminescence TV. It is supposedly much
cheaper than any other type of flat screen since it is much easier to manufacture.
It is also supposed to be less than 2" thick! They are still in the prototype
stages right now, and I don't know if I want to wait...but I may buy stock
in iFire :D

xrobbx03 said:
im not to crazy about projectors. I would go more of the plasma LCD route. My friend has a projector. Its nice but its also in his basement and even the little light that gets into there can make it so that you cant see the picture as well.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I haven't looked into it very well yet but I do hear that if you get a better projector with more lumens and a good screen for it then you don't need a dark room. Thats what I hear anyways haven't checked it out yet. Im not ready yet for one. My fish tank isn't built into my wall yet.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
The new generation of DLP monitors from Samsung are very nice. I have the older generation widescreen and it is still a very sharp and bright monitor. You won't have to worry about burn-ins and the bulb is easily changeable-making the monitor last a very long time. Also, the prices on these sets are dropping to very attractive ranges. I agree with Tasher, that a projector is great if you have a dark room, but the tank might make that impossible. As for a receiver, Onkyo and Yamaha both make reasonably priced recievers with all the "bells and whistles". To be honest, any decent brand receiver will sound about the same. Unless you have very good speakers and a very quiet room, I doubt you will be able to tell the difference between a high end receiver and a mid end. For speakers, Bose are nice but overpriced for what you get. I would recommend Klipsch speakers, especially if you can get a deal for a home theater setup. They have nice horn tweeters and are very efficient (they sound louder with less watts needed) and little distortion. HTH

·
Registered
40 Posts
Alright here's my 2 cents. I used to be the IT manger for a home theater company and had the opportunity to try a lot of different things. Given it's been a while but here you go...

I guess the first question I have is what's your budget?

Plasma: definately Pioneer Elite or if $$ is no object Runco. Hitachi has some nice ones too.
Speakers. If you have the ability look at Boston Acoustic in-walls. Also, you can look at RBH in-walls, but the Boston's always seem to have a crisp/ tight sound.
Reciever: Dennon, Pioneer Elite, or B&K

Be careful buying online. Alot of the manuf. wouldn't warranty the products. Of course you have to be careful with local people because there are alot "truck slammers" out there. If you have a Tweeter nearby start there. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I looked at some plasmas at Best Buy (Magnolia Corp) and they looked really nice. In fact the color and brightness on the plasmas are much better than the LCDs. The salesguy also confirmed this and told me for flat screen, plasma is the way to go right now. Much better quality and reliability than the first early models. In fact he told me that the production yield on plasmas are much higher than for the LCDs.....Now I gotta work on the wife!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
it all depends on $$$$$$$$$$$you want to spent
Speakers. If you have the ability look at Boston Acoustic in-walls. Also, you can look at RBH in-walls, but the Boston's always seem to have a crisp/ tight sound.much beter sounding in the same price range
Reciever: Dennon, Pioneer Elite, or B&K are lowend
Plasma: definately Pioneer Elite let me know what kind of sound your looking for home theater or stero or a mix or both
does left over motels from the year bother you cause i can det some good deals for you let me know your price range and I'll find you grate deals

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow

Hey thans for the great info and for the offer. I gotta still work on my wife since I just got a pool table. I'll let you know...last year's models are great for me!!!!:banana:

johnnygray said:
it all depends on $$$$$$$$$$$you want to spent
Speakers. If you have the ability look at Boston Acoustic in-walls. Also, you can look at RBH in-walls, but the Boston's always seem to have a crisp/ tight sound.much beter sounding in the same price range
Reciever: Dennon, Pioneer Elite, or B&K are lowend
Plasma: definately Pioneer Elite let me know what kind of sound your looking for home theater or stero or a mix or both
does left over motels from the year bother you cause i can det some good deals for you let me know your price range and I'll find you grate deals

1 - 14 of 14 Posts