The Reef Tank banner

Home Shark Touch Tank

888 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Elegance Coral 
#1 ·
I think it would be awesome to have one of them loop around shark touch tanks. Maybe wrapping around a room or a bar. I was thinking the dimensions would be about 2'w x 1'h since they're bottom dwellers. To make it cheaper two sides could be plywood. What do you guys think. I was thinking bamboo sharks or if there's any smaller sharks. Are the dimensions enough?

#2 ·
I would crank the height up to at least 16-18 inches. These aren't heavy bodied sharks, but they can be quite active, and like to get up off the bottom periodically.

A good rule of thumb when designing a benthic shark tank, is to make the shortest distance of the foot print, at least twice the length of the adult shark. The most common bamboo is the brown banded bamboo. This species reaches about 40 inches. That puts the width somewhere between 6 and 7 feet. Your 2 foot width simply would not be enough. The shark would scrape its nose on the wall every time it tried to turn around.

Sharks are incredible animals, and make great pets, for those hobbyists willing to devote a large portion of their lives to caring for them. They are very complex animals and they require a great deal of research and planning, long before we actually purchase our first pet.

Good luck
Peace
EC

#3 ·
That sounds like a cool idea.

#6 ·
There are several species of benthic sharks that stay relatively small. All the bamboos are small, three to four feet. The Epaulette shark stays real skinny, and tops out around three feet. A couple of the wobbegongs top out in the four foot range.

With most of these sharks, even though they may be small compared to other sharks, they'll still need a small swimming pool as an adult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.