The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of some “handy” folks using old refrigerator components to make a “chiller” to cool down an aquarium during the hot summer months. Does anyone have any experience in making these or maybe even a web address that may have “how to” instructions?

Thanks,

Terry

·
Registered
822 Posts
I don't have any experience, and I can't recall the website, but I have seen them. As I recall, you basically take a small refrigerator, drill a couple of holes in the door, and run tubing into the frig through one of the holes, make a coil inside the frig, and then back out of the frig through the other hole. Then just hook the tubing up to a pump in your sump to circulate water through the refrigerator.

·
Registered
921 Posts
dorm frig

If you go through the side, you would be able to open the door. Be sure to silicon caulk / seal. You will get better thermal transfer if the interior coil is in a tub of cold water. Try not to have the refrigerator heat coil in the back be in the same room you are trying to cool down. Usually it is more comfortable to AC the room instead.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have done the dorm frig w/ tub of water thing. Using a frig it is only good for a 10 maybe 20 gallon tank and definatly no MH above the tank.

I used a dorm freezer to make a 10 gal temperate tank (68 degrees)

Basically these two ideas are only usefull for a nano and now you can buy a Iceprobe chiller for nanos which only cost slightly more than the frig idea and basically takes up no room compared to the frig.

In short forget about the dorm frig/freezer idea --- just not worth the effort and you won't get much cooling anyway.

Biggest problem (and expense) with turning a window AC into a chiller is the titanium core. And that is the main reason why chillers cost so much.

Put the window AC in the window and chill the room --- or turn down the main AC.

Lets face it were all really just slaves to our AC where reefs are concerned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts