The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
88 is way too hot. I didn't think this light would raise the temp by 8 degrees :cry: . the fixture has a built in fan, and there is a glass top (for now). I can't afford a chiller; i need an alternative.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a few degrees? like say from 88 to 80? what is the perfecto temp? 79-81, right? I'm sure that people have this fixture without a chiller; how do they keep the temp perfect

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the glass top sits on the tank. It has recondensed water beaded on it; maybe this is causing slower evaporation. will this top make the temp hotter or coller?

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Remove the glass top. The evaporation will help cool the tank.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i bought the thing thinking it would protect the water some from the heat. Oh the irony. It would also serve to save the suicidal jumpers in the future.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
It can also cause problems with your Ph because it'll interfere with proper gas exchange.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mmmmm....righto. But what about the jumpers? So, glass top removal and a sump fan should do the trick. Any other trade secrets that someone could grace me with?

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Egg crate is the grating used on flourescent lighting in dropped cielings. It has squares about 3/8" and is plastic. You can get it Home Depot. Set it on the tank top. Youll get the light through and the gas exchange but not the fish.
The glass top is the problem. Fans and romoving it will do the trick!

Robert

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sa-weet! tomarrow I will test this egg crate secret. now, who can tell me the secret to getting a 125G reef on my current pay.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I use a fan blowing over my tank and it worked great. I dont have any jumpers so I just leave the feeding hood open. If you are worried about jumpers maybe you could put window screen over the tank under the lighting?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had egg crate on my tank. It took all of about 6 hours before my new diamond watchman goby went carpet surfing. I don't know if he went through the egg crate or if he just hit it hard enough and at the right angle that he was able to knock it high enough to get between the tank and the egg crate. So now, I keep my glass lid on the main tank, but use the sump to cool the water.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
i totlaly love using egg crate, cheap and you can snip it to fit around anything you want..cut a section so you can remove it to get in to thetank when you need to.. the covered bread ties make for great locks too..
for the 125 look in the paper sometime you will find great deals on them!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts