The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are CPR C-siphon overflows any good? If not, what is a good HOB overflow?

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the trick with the HOB using something like the aqualifter pump to keep the siphon?

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know a good link to build your own HOB overflow?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I have a hob overflow not sure what brand but I almost lost syphon once. My sump was low and my tank was almost to the point of over flowing. I had a huge bubble in the utube. I bought a aqualift a acpl of months ago and have had no problem since. jmo but I think the real trick to overflows are the amount of water coming form your sump pump. The more flow the more likely any bubbles forming will get pushed through but that's jmo.
Patrick

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about just building a durso-pickup instead of the box?

Something like the pickup in this pic. This is what I built for my closed loop. What about modifying it so that it works like a durso with a hole in the cap to regulate flow?

·
Registered
914 Posts
What about just building a durso-pickup instead of the box?

Something like the pickup in this pic. This is what I built for my closed loop. What about modifying it so that it works like a durso with a hole in the cap to regulate flow?

With a system like that I would think you would run the risk of syphoning out the entire contents of your tank all over your living room floor if your return pump ever failed or if your power went out. Then you would lose syphon and when the power came back on it would empty out your sump completely into the main tank, also bad (heaters would all crack, pump would run dry). I would stick with an HOB overflow or a drilled tank.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Is the trick with the HOB using something like the aqualifter pump to keep the siphon?
I use the venturi from one of my mj powerheads to suck out any bubbles. If I have it positioned just right it will actually prime itself from completely empty. I just have to make sure both sides of the "U" are filled with water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts