The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i bought a white with purple tiped sabae anemone...it did good and looked fine up until last night...i got home from work all the lights were out in the tank and it was completely uninflated and closed...i figured it was sort of wierd and thoguht about it for a second...but figured it would come back and be fine when the lights came back on ... but this am when i woke up and the lights had been on the anemone opened up a bit but is still un inflated...i mean all of his tentacles look like uninflated baloons...is there anything i can do is this normal should i try to target feed some ground up plankton ? ? ? i mean what can i do to help this? or make this thing better??? or is it normal for this to happen periodically??? when i had my BTA ( befor it walked into my powerhead inflow and died :( ) it woudl periodically close up like this but bounce right back and be fine in a few hours if not a say but this seems like it is too long for it to be closed up like this any suggestions ?

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok so he opened up and is seeming to be doing fine now ... i target fed him with some plankton which i had to and chop and feed through an eye dropper ( spoiled lil thing ) and he opened up...but idk it seemed strange that he was so uninflated for so long but i guess it was just a fluke for a second...but as of right now he is doing good...il keep everyone posted.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Usually white w/ purple tips means the anemone is bleached. If it is healthy it will be a light brown w/ no difference on the tips. Keep it in high light and try to feed it something more substantial, possibly some pieces of silversides. If it recovers you will lose the cool white and purple but you will have a great anemone.

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually white w/ purple tips means the anemone is bleached. If it is healthy it will be a light brown w/ no difference on the tips. Keep it in high light and try to feed it something more substantial, possibly some pieces of silversides. If it recovers you will lose the cool white and purple but you will have a great anemone.

lo not bleached ... thats the color it is ive researched them extensivly over the last few days and thats the color he is ... he just closes completely at night ... he has been doing it since i got him ... and was open this morn the sunlight shines in the living room befor the MH come on about and hour or so . so my light befor and after the mh go on and off is almost timed perfectly to have a little bit of a low light befor and after in a natural manner sorta nice and good at the same time.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I'm sorry, but Scoop is right. There are no white host anemone species. If they are white, they are bleached.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
The worst thing about bleached anemones is that sometimes it is done intentionally. Wholesalers and dealers will hold on to the anemones for longer periods so the color can fade out to that bright white color. A normal tan/brownish colored sebae isn't overly attractive but the bright white ones will attract the unknowing buyers from across the store.

Fortunately, with the right lighting and proper care they can recover. More research is definately in order if you wish to pull it through this delicate period.

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The worst thing about bleached anemones is that sometimes it is done intentionally. Wholesalers and dealers will hold on to the anemones for longer periods so the color can fade out to that bright white color. A normal tan/brownish colored sebae isn't overly attractive but the bright white ones will attract the unknowing buyers from across the store.

Fortunately, with the right lighting and proper care they can recover. More research is definately in order if you wish to pull it through this delicate period.
yea i noticed that he is starting to take on a more of a tanish tint so its possilbe that ur right i could be wrong i asked and they said thats how they came in i target feed him and he eats so im not to worried about his color if it fades into a tanish hint thats fine with me... i bought another type of sabea anemone he has short tenticles and is yellow and white stripped with purple spots on him he burrowed down into the sandbed and seems to like his new home ... they are both doing fine...i am waiting for my protein skimmer to break in ... its an irritating wait cus im used to things working instantly ...

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Is there any way you can post pic's of your anemones? The care requirements for different species of anemone can be very different.

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there any way you can post pic's of your anemones? The care requirements for different species of anemone can be very different.
yea i can get some pics today ... i will post them later ... the one is a long tip the brownish color was coming from the brown algae on the sand bed...when i put the protein skimmer in literaly a day later all the algae was gone. but he still has a few small brown spots on him that are going away ... the other one is another sabae anemone and it burrows int he sand with smaller short tenticles and with purple and white and yellow stripes on them... i target feed both of them with frozen mysis/plankton and also still feeed flak form 1 and 2 a fewe tiems a week...everything is doing fine ... the wrasse and the scooter both are eating up the pods and small live shrimp in the tank...the wrasse will eat flake as well...but i will get pics and some info on both the anemones

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://purelycaptivecorals.com/Homepage Photos/SabaeAnemone-pammy.jpg

this is not a pic of mine...but is the exact anemone i have...not as large tho...
cant find one of the otehr one but i can try to get a pic of mine....he is in the front corner of the tank so it would be a hard pic to get but il try...but his body is burrowed down into the sandbed and his body/tentacles open and fold out onto the sandbed. he has a hole that does down to his mouth in the center about the size of a quarter and his tentacles are baout 1/4 opr 1/8 inch long white and yellow and purple strippeed ! and the white anemone is actually white ! not BLEACHED lol check the pic.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
That is a nice pic of a bleached anemone you linked to. Just because someone else has one doesn't mean that they are supposed to look that way.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I'm sorry, but Jadinop is right. That is a photo of a bleached H. crispa. This is what H. crispa looks like when healthy in the wild. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.georgesreef.com/uploads/0071AnemoneFishWithHCrispaT.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.georgesreef.com/Gallery.asp%3Fcp%3D5%26pageID%3Dug&usg=___XbsMCq4peQ489-qCmmkJVfk13s=&h=96&w=72&sz=7&hl=en&start=20&um=1&tbnid=jXoRpAXs7VB1YM:&tbnh=81&tbnw=61&prev=/images%3Fq%3DH.%2Bcrispa%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4RNWE_enUS306%26sa%3DN Click on the 5th pick, "anemonefish with H. crispa", to inlarge the image.

All host anemone species rely on zooxanthellae to survive. Zooxanthellae are different shades of brown. This will give a healthy anemone a brownish color. At least where the the zooxanthellae are not concealed by secondary pigments. The only time a host anemone will appear white, like in the photo you posted, is when it has lost its zooxanthellae or the zooxanthellae have lost their pigments. In other words, they have "bleached".

There are only two possible outcomes for a white host anemone. It will either turn darker in color, or die. Unfortunately, there is no third option. You may be able to prolong the inevitable with near perfect conditions and constant feedings, but if the zooxanthellae don't return, its fate is sealed.

·
Dedicated Reef Adict
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sorry, but Jadinop is right. That is a photo of a bleached H. crispa. This is what H. crispa looks like when healthy in the wild. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...H.+crispa&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4RNWE_enUS306&sa=N Click on the 5th pick, "anemonefish with H. crispa", to inlarge the image.

All host anemone species rely on zooxanthellae to survive. Zooxanthellae are different shades of brown. This will give a healthy anemone a brownish color. At least where the the zooxanthellae are not concealed by secondary pigments. The only time a host anemone will appear white, like in the photo you posted, is when it has lost its zooxanthellae or the zooxanthellae have lost their pigments. In other words, they have "bleached".

There are only two possible outcomes for a white host anemone. It will either turn darker in color, or die. Unfortunately, there is no third option. You may be able to prolong the inevitable with near perfect conditions and constant feedings, but if the zooxanthellae don't return, its fate is sealed.

been target feeding them with frozen mysis and plankton they are loving it ... the BLEACHED one i suppose is turing mor brown in spots i add zoo to the tank and a bunch of other chemicals ... but its my bday im goin out il be back onnlater thanks guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts