The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen 280 metal h. on 29 gal, tanks. that is about 10 wpg. is it just me, or is that too much light? I'm asking because i want to upgrade my lights, but don't want to hurt some thing in my tank. also how huch heat do m.h. put out (175 watts)? will i have to get a chiller or is 4" above the water and 2 fans enough to keep my tank from frying? please reply:)

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
I think the wattage is fine, depending on what you want to keep in it. I don't know if there is such a thing as too much light. You may want to short cycle your MH when you first get them to let things acclimate. Fans will certainly help keep stuff cooler at the price of evaporating more water. Fans helped tremendously with my tank. There are a lot of factors with heat in a tank. Glass or acrylic, submersible pumps, AC in the house etc. A chiller helps make it more of a set and forget setup. Without it you will need to keep a constant eye on your temp in the summer or maybe even winter for you in Dallas. Chillers for that small of tank are a lot cheaper compared to larger tanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 2 170gph pumps, and a 290 gph pump. It is a glass tank. And yes..the evaporation is hell. About 3 gallons a week!!!!:angry:

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I have a 24 gallon with fans on it. I loose about at least a gallon a day.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
jenajet said:
I have a 24 gallon with fans on it. I loose about at least a gallon a day.
wow! thats a lot. My 29 gallon looses about 1/4 - 1/2 gallon daily depending on the tempature

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
tashier said:
The fact that you lose so little water, it's Dope. I just had that Netflix commercial in my head. Anyone seen that, pretty funny. Guy is explaining Netflix to his friend, his friend replies, 'Thats dope.
oh

well I have the ac on all da time

·
Registered
395 Posts
On my 29g i use a eclipse hood on it and i only have to add a gallon every 3 to 4 days :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts