51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than water changes, any other ways to *reduce nitrate?:angry:

*Kill

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
feed less

/edit That wasn't completely accurate. While feeding less will help to prevent excess nutrients which lead to nitrates it will not lower them. You could try a remote dsb/dsb in a bucket. Other than that start changing water until you get it under control.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Ok I'm having the same nitrate prob. I cut back on feeds from everyday to every other day. I removed my bio balls and all sponges about 2 weeks ago. No drop yet(44ppm). I also just ordered a ro unit from ebay. I believe its the tap water so I'm hoping the ro unit will drop them. I will tell you what didn't work for me. I ordered Al-Gone on line all it did was kill my Zena then I tried Pura_nitralock it didn't work either. Good Luck! If you find something that works PLEASE let me know.
Patrick

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Skim more and try some Macro algae....Remove any sponges/filter pads that will trap them.

Takes time to do.....Oh and Feeding less like said will certainly help.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
You will always have nitrate/phosphate and subsequently algae problems if you continue to use tap water. My tap water has a TDS of about 450ppm, but the RODI water has zero.....

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
water changes two times a week at 10%, cutting the feeding back to once a week, skimming, and more flow... is what i did.
imo - any of the additives that say that they remove nitrates don't work. or, at least, didn't work for me.
i also had too much livestock in the tank... had to reduce that too.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I got a great deal on the ro unit I ordered on ebay. A portable unit that you can just hook up to you sink faucet. It only ran me about 70 bucks with shipping and has standard sized filters. The saller has 99% approval ratings. I also had a few of the members here check it out before I bought it. If your interested drop me a privet message and I will send you the link. They also have other ro units a great prices!

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Hey Zacho, where are you in Dallas? I am up near the big airport, and my LFS is Dallas North Aquarium......Dallas tap water is pretty good but I read in the paper where they just added ozone to a bunch of the treatment plants. I would definitely invest in an RO/DI unit, the best thing I ever did for any of my tanks. Nitrates take a long time to subside, they are the final stop on the cycle. Try running a little reef carbon in your sump or in a reactor, it will help - and water changes too. Sorry I can't be of more help.

HHC

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Keeping sand beds/ bottoms clean, Having less fish, Basting live rock, upping the tanks flow to lift detridus into the skimmer, wet skimming,

·
Administrator
46,690 Posts
What john said, that all helps, water changes need to be frequent and large, if you are doing small water changes 10-20% once or twice a week its going to take a LONG time to effect the nitrate levels esp with a typically stocked and fed tank.
If you are changing to RO from tap water thats going to help , depending on the nitrate level in your tap water to begin with. I would suggest 25% water changes every 3-4 days and plan on it taking about a month to drastically lower and stabilise an low nitrate levels

·
Registered
473 Posts
Are you looking for an easy fix?
A quick fix?
First of all everyone here is going to say waterchanges...and I agree. In the future you should do more of them and your nitrates will stay down.
I, on the otherhand, am lazier than most and I recommend giving a strong dose of PRIME by Seachem. Everyone here is going to complain...listen to me...it'll cloud your water a little bit, but it'll work (but only as a quick fix). It will detoxify your nitrate. In the future keep up with the water changes.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
DrFish33 said:
Are you looking for an easy fix?
A quick fix?
First of all everyone here is going to say waterchanges...and I agree. In the future you should do more of them and your nitrates will stay down.
I, on the otherhand, am lazier than most and I recommend giving a strong dose of PRIME by Seachem. Everyone here is going to complain...listen to me...it'll cloud your water a little bit, but it'll work (but only as a quick fix). It will detoxify your nitrate. In the future keep up with the water changes.
That doesnt do anything but mask up the nitrates...... It doesnt take care of where the problem is really coming from like detridal build up,or too many fish, sure it will detox but it will eventually come back without proper tank husbandry.

·
Registered
473 Posts
See...I told you what everyone would say. They are all one track minded. Listen, if you want your critters to live, then add the Prime. In a few days do a water change. Do your water changes more often. I've always heard 10% every week. I would try this and see if you can get your levels down over time, but for NOW...Prime is the answer. These other people are correct...when talking long term answers, but thinking short term I am correct.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have about 30 pounds of live rock, and

2 yellow tangs
5 false clowns
1 yellow tail damsel
1 purple firefish (he dissapeared?)
1 SMALL engeneer goby

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
DrFish33 said:
See...I told you what everyone would say. They are all one track minded.
I'd ask that if you want people to respect YOUR opinions, that you also respect theirs.

You are completely allowed to disagree here at TRT. But insults are NOT allowed.

Please remember that in the future.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Zacho said:
I have about 30 pounds of live rock, and

2 yellow tangs
5 false clowns
1 yellow tail damsel
1 purple firefish (he dissapeared?)
1 SMALL engeneer goby
Hmmmm... i don't htink that is enough live rock for your bioload, unless you're doing some super heavey duty skimming.

I have 60 Lbs LR and half as many fish. You might wanna get more LR. I will probably help.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I would recommend and second the advice given by DOUG. remember the 1st rule: NEVER ADD ANYTHING TO YOUR TANK THAT YOU CAN"T TEST FOR. Prime is a mask and will cause problems. your best bet is a large WC once instead of small changes over time. this has been tested and proven far beyond anything you could find about so-called nitrate lowering chems.

that is my take on the subject.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts