The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I was asked for I would like to show the members of TRT one ore two of my aquariums. All my friends of the other forum know me and my aquariums already very well.

My journey with saltwater tanks started in the spring of 1986 with a 75gal. Fish tank.Topically I have 5 aquariums, three 68gal. (my breeding tanks), one 255 gal. Fish tank (almost exclusively with aggressive fish) and my current 115gal. Reef tank, first set up in Nov. 2004. I would want introduce here merely the technology of my 115 gal. reef aquarium. To all other tanks I answer with pleasure every question.

Tank:
Aquarium: 49" x 24" x 26" with black silicone joints.gross volume: c. 440 l (115 gal. overall dimensions – including cabinet (l x w x h): c. 49" x 24" x 44"

Sump (onboard):
Trickle filter - with Ocean Runner PH 2000 (500 gph) circulation pump on SCWD, I use the filter exclusive for ROWA Phos and/or Carbon, no Baktoballs or other filter materials.

Circulation:
2 Ocean Runner PH 2000 Circulation pumps and additionaly 1 x Tunzen Stream 6055

Skimmer:
Needle wheel protein skimmer Aqua Medic Turboflotor 1000 - with Ocean Runner PH2500 pump

Lighting:
Metal halide lamps with 2 x 150 w Giesemann 14500ºK, 2 x Fauna Marin 24 Watt T5 AQUA Science Blue and an aquafit steel wire support system.

UV-C:
Helix Max UV steriliser 18 watts (insertable if necessary with a small 125gph pump)

Dosing Supplements:
GroTech TEC 3 NG Dosing pump 3-channel (Balling +Plus)

Ozonizer:
Sander CERTIZON C50 continuous operation with c.15mg to produce transparent and healthy water, diminishes the load of nitrite and ammonia to zero.

Niveaumat:
The Niveaumat will automatically top up evaporated water in my tank. It comprises an SP 3000 peristaltic pump with a directly connected float switch. The float switch is installed in the tank at the desired level using its holding unit. As the level drops the SP 3000 automatically tops up the tank with osmosis water from a 10gal. Reservoir. The Reservoir is filled once each week with osmosis water.

Reverse osmosis:
Aqua Medic Premium Line 150 with 100g reservoir (used for all tank’s (7))

Salt:
Red Sea Coral Pro, Tropic Marin PRO – REEF, Reef Crystals, I change the salt each month.

Supplements:
The main sources of supplements are my weekly water changes, which seem to be well received by my animals. I use the Balling +Plus Methode and dose every day, depending upon result of measurement, an easy supplementation of calcium, magnesium, carbonates, as well as essential trace elements, amino acids and vitamins.

Maintenance:
My weekly tank chores include doing a 15% - 20% water change, cleaning the skimmer’s neck and dumping the full waste collector, pruning the macroalgae and cleaning the salt creep on the braces. Every three months I clean the sump, skimmer and of course all air hoses. I always have new salt water ready to perform a water change any time it’s needed.

Live rock/sand:
70Kg live rock from Tonga island with a “basement” of 30kg dolomite stone and 30Kg live sand.

Topical pictures:

Reef

Seahorse

Clarkiis

·
Registered
151 Posts
welcome Heinz!!!! great shots of the tanks!! would LOVE to see a close up of one of the horses!!!. also... i was wondering how the tanks were after your vacation..

·
Registered
208 Posts
welcome to TRT ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Kelli ... and Hi Sarah .... Jack :)

I had some loses Sarah. The potterie, both C. hortulanus and one red Montipora had died in the meantime. No problem with the Monti, the loss is to be compensated, i have some frags. The loss of the C.hortulanus hurts a little, both have accepted no feed in my absence. I have fed them before always from the tweezers without slightest problems.

Ok, life goes on ...

You wanted to see pictures like these Sarah ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hiya, Heinz!

So sorry about your losses :cry:

Your tanks still look fabulous and of course you'll get everything whipped back into shape.

I looked through your trip pictures and WOW is all I can say!

·
Registered
151 Posts
aww, sorry for the losses!! dang that stinks!

and yes!! wow!! those are so cool!!! great picture Heinz! how many do you have in there?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aww, sorry for the losses!! dang that stinks!

and yes!! wow!! those are so cool!!! great picture Heinz! how many do you have in there?
At the moment I have a pair H. barbouri and a pair H. reidi. In the same tank are another 1/5 Trimma cana and a pair Doryrhamphus excisus.

@BarbMazz

Thank you Barb

·
Brunt of all Jokes~
251 Posts
Heinz!! so fantastic to be able to see you and your tanks again! Welcome to TRT! I hope one day to be smart enough to ask you a question or two lol, for now Im too green with HA and envy:beer:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Always a pleasure to see your tanks Heinz.
Is there a photo album of your predator tank on your website?

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
:wavey: Welcome to TRT!!

Great looking tanks and reef setup. You said you change the salt mix each month from RS Coral Pro, TM Pro Reef, and RC. Obviously by the looks of your systems this has not caused you any problems, but I am wondering about the reason you do this.

I use only TM Pro Reef, and it is very expensive here compared to the other mixes. So, if you have a plan that would let me rotate salt mixes and get results like yours I would love to hear it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome Heinz! I'm glad you are posting here as well. I would really miss your updates and seeing your tanks!:D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Heinz,
Phenomenal looking tanks. Love the horses!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thank you all !

Heinz, my good friend! Darn glad you found us! We've missed you. Now, about that Friday update?!?!? :D
Hi Terry .... One does not leave you alone :) LoL

My Frideay Update here on TRT ? Why not, if you wanted the update!?

Heinz,
Phenomenal looking tanks. Love the horses!
Thank you Becky, I try my very best all the time. In the following some pictures ONLY for you. :rolleyes:

Welcome Heinz! I'm glad you are posting here as well. I would really miss your updates and seeing your tanks!:D
Hi Scott, what makes "Balling"? Do you already use it or are you still in the preparations?

:wavey: Welcome to TRT!!

Great looking tanks and reef setup. You said you change the salt mix each month from RS Coral Pro, TM Pro Reef, and RC. Obviously by the looks of your systems this has not caused you any problems, but I am wondering about the reason you do this.

I use only TM Pro Reef, and it is very expensive here compared to the other mixes. So, if you have a plan that would let me rotate salt mixes and get results like yours I would love to hear it.
It is famously the different salt kinds rather differently are mixed and the slightest problem is calcium, magnesium and the carbonate hardness. It is more about the other ingredients as for example aluminium, barium, chromium, thallium, zinc etc.. To compensate these differences I use everybody 4 - 6 weeks another salt. This is absolutely usual, by the way, in whole Europe, it is reported only seldom about that.

Heinz!! so fantastic to be able to see you and your tanks again! Welcome to TRT! I hope one day to be smart enough to ask you a question or two lol, for now Im too green with HA and envy:beer:
:rotflmao:hahahaha .... :thumbup: now I must laugh once decently Sas. There I get rather my pension than an asking of you, what you wanted to ask me what you already do not know. LoL :blob: :rotflmao:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts