The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a hello and a couple questions. I was active in the hobby a few years ago. I ran a reef in a 30 long for several years but gave away all my livestock and packed it up when we moved from the Chicago area up to the Cities. Cleaning the garage a few weeks ago I found all my aquaria materials and I've caught the bug again.

I still have all my equipment but I'm looking to get into a 90 (or anything close that is 48 inches in length)gallon plus tank now so will be converting the old 30 into a sump. Of course I can't just use the old equipment. This is an excellent excuse with the wife to upgrade everything right? : )

Just as in reefing nothing good happens quickly I'm approaching my new setup similiarly. I'm going to try a DYI hood and stand based upon this design: http://defcon200.bizland.com/aquariust/id2.html I'll need to convert it to a 48 inch setup but I really like the duel canopy opening option. I'm planning on two 250 watt MH and two actinic power compacts. I have a DYI skimmer but the wife doesn't like the thing that looks like a toilet standing next to the tank with brown sludge coming out of it. : ) I'm considering a AquaC EV-120 to replace my DYI skimmer. Our water is pretty poor here in Hastings. I was spoiled in our Chicago area. I'm going to have to pick up a Kent Marine Bare Bones R.O. Unit Hi-S or similiar product. The wife has me on a strict budget so I'm looking to acquire used upgrades before buying new.

I've been lurking for a bit here and talked to a few folks via PMs. I sent an email to the TCMAS email address inquiring about joining. I understand I need an application that can be picked up at the next meeting. I'm not sure when that is however. I saw a post today from someone that its the 13th. Where is it going to be held? I'd like to attend if I can. Looking forward to meeting you all. From what I've seen here on the board and heard from PMs with a few it sounds like a great group of hobbyists. Oh, and any comments about my basic design are more then welcome.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Welcome to TRT and TCMAS Todd!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. Hope to see you all at the meeting on Wednesday! I set up my old 30 long for now and plan on moving everything over to the new tank once I acquire everything for it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome Todd. I can't make this meeting, but I'm sure i'll meet you at a future meeting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts