The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a couple pieces of live rock from my local fish store, and after getting them my tank I had notice a few different things on the rock. There are these things on the rock, that to me resemble a baby anemone.. I am not at all familiar with live rock hitchhikers so I could be way off. If these are anemone's, should i be concerned for the health of my fish?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Those sound like aiptasia, which are a pest anemone and can multiply like crazy. Look for a product called aiptasia -x at your LFS.

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Those sound like aiptasia, which are a pest anemone and can multiply like crazy. Look for a product called aiptasia -x at your LFS.
Not every small anemone that we find on live rock is aptasia or manjano. Corynactis and pseudocorynactis are also common hitch hikers. A positive ID should be made before going after them.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Not every small anemone that we find on live rock is aptasia or manjano. Corynactis and pseudocorynactis are also common hitch hikers. A positive ID should be made before going after them.
Sorry, I wasn't suggesting they kill it without IDing it first. I definitely like to give things the benefit of the doubt (honestly I have a hard time killing things even when I know they're bad :( ) It's just out of about 100 "what is this anemone thing?" posts I've only ever seen one be a corynactis. Most people just aren't that lucky. :p Or maybe I'm just jaded...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the link i think i do have an Aiptasia growing on the rock, but there is also something else that looks very similar except it is white.. Would this be the same thing too?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Looking at the link i think i do have an Aiptasia growing on the rock, but there is also something else that looks very similar except it is white.. Would this be the same thing too?
Probably so, they can very from clear to brownish depending on the lighting they've gotten.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I've heard good things about aiptasia-x. It comes with a little syringe and you just squirt it near the aiptaisa - they think it's food, grab it and ingest it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts