The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found this hitchhiker coral while moving rocks from one tank to another. It initially only had 5 polyps. Anyone have any idea what it is?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
cannot really tell from the photo, it appears to be some type of zooanthid, hard to even id at that level without a better pic (read as better focus). Is it soft? does it have any stony skeleton at all? where did it come from? Does it change any from night to day?

Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Hmm..to me it looks more like some small pagoda coral. The way all the polyps seem to be coming from one base, I would rule out zoo's. But that is just my humble $.02. :)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Thanks Johnny, it helps a little...

How long did it take to increase the number of polyps from 5? (Pagoda's take a while to grow that much, and the polyps are not quite right) Skeleton? Rubbery mat at edges? All soft? Feeding behavior? Number of tentacles per polyp?

Even with all this info, ID will be difficult unless someone has an identical id'd colony, even then, just down to Genus usually. Better resolution on the photo will still help, and possibly pix from several angles as well as the physical description.

Spanks, possibly one of the Caribbean spp of zoos? Polyp morphology just doesn't look right to me for that...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts