The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm pretty new. But i just picked up some new live rock from my LFS and as I was looking it over this little guy popped out. I have pictures but can't quite figure out how to post them.

The carb is about an inch long with a very light brown body. he has 4-5 white stripes up and down his legs and a white spotted body. He's not hairy nor scary and seems peaceful. For now he's sitting in a baby saver at the top of the tank. I originally thought he was a sally light foot, but now it appears he's holding a small white thing, which leads me to believe he's a pom pom. Any help would be great, I can't find anything like him.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Doesn't look like an emerald to me, at least not my emeralds :p They have hairy legs. Doesn't really look like my pom pom either though - bigger and less colorful. Can you see if his claws are pointy or blunt?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems to be like a porcliean crab's claw. Where they aren't blunt but at the same time not terribly pointy.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's hard to ID crabs to a specific species. That said the claws will tell you the most.

1. Mithrax sp. (Emerald crabs and the like) are mostly safe and have pincers that flatten into two spoons where the two points touch.
2. Porcelain or Anemone crabs (completely safe) has fore-arms that are flattened so that the two pincers form a flat shovel shape. You should also see it extend to net-like mouth parts to filter feed.
3. Pointed pincers are generally a bad sign. This in most cases means it will eat something if it gets the chance.

Hopefully that all made sense. Most crabs fall into category 3 unfortunately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that makes sense, like I said he's in the top of the tank, I'll check him out a while and see if anything happens with him! Thanks all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts