The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving rocks around in the tank, I noticed these two small round things w/spines- blunt, the size of an eraser. Yes urchins. Now we have four of them the same size, quarters - must have missed the other two :rolleyes:

These guys are good at eating the coraline but nothing else.
1. Shoud we keep them in the tank and watch them
2. Get rid of two and watch the other two
3. Get rid of all four

They seem to be "reef safe" not eating any of the corals but where they "sit" it's just bare rock

what to do :confused:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
that's a toughie...one small warning. If your tank is prone to hair/turf algae...

Hair algae really likes to attach itself to rock that has been recently cleaned by an urchin. This has been true in our tank at least. Hopefully you don't have the turf problem though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
how does one go about getting a urchin to remove its self from a rock? I am interested in getting one from my LFS but they dont know how to get it off the rock...

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Patience, basically when I've had to move mine I put a large net next to him and HOPE he crawls into it.

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far, they have not been the culprits in knocking things over - the hermits do that- and in the "next" tank will be hermit-less just have them in the fuge.

No hair algae and hopefully will not have any. Just battling the flatworm used the "exit' about 2 weeks ago and they are back or they never left. :confused:

On moving a urchin, i just use a 'prodding" motion and carefully move it to where i want it. It works for me, just go very slow and easy.

Thanks guy's for the replys :beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts