The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Reef Freak
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of goby would suit the role of simply cleaning the sand and eating any food that falls to the bottom, but stays relatively small that's about the size of a yellow watchman goby. It has to have great coloration and is active. Im not looking for a burrowing one or one that completely changes the sand bed so it is one sided. More like a goby that hops or swims over the sand and sifts sand but doesn't burrow. Would a yellow watchman goby do the job?

·
Lost At Sea
1,505 Posts
Most Gobies/Blennies that would actually sift the sand generally burrow in it as well. Here is a link to a large number of gobie/blennies. While none meet your exact needs, perhaps you'll see a type best suited for you.

http://www.aquacon.com/blennies_saltwaterfish.html

I personally have a Diamond Watchman and while he does an excellent job with sifting the sand, he also likes to build sand dunes and has completely removed sand from certain corners of the tank.

·
Reef Freak
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a diamond goby once as well as a dragon goby. I've found them doing more bad than good as they messed up my sand bed. I'll do some research and share my findings

·
Registered
589 Posts
No matter what you decide to go with do not order from aquacon on that posted link. You will be ripped off. I have seen it many times on TRT.

I have a watchman goby... He stays in his own cave area and burrows a little. Not good if ya want it to move lots of sand... do you siphon your sandbed?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Siphon/ vaccum a little bit of it when ya do. SS stars are cool but require alot of sand.. I would just manually vaccum a 1/4 at water changes

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
+1, you don't want to use a goby to replace the manual labor of siphoning detrius nad left over food on your own. What gobies, and related fish, are actually doing when the sift the sand is eating the CUC members that DO clean the sand by eating detrius and left over food. These members of the CUC break these down into smaller particles making them easier to remove with water changes and the protein skimmer. A goby can strip a sand bed clean faster than you'd think and it will then slowly starve to death without supplemental food sources. Just something to think about.

If you are looking for one because you think they are cool and you understand their care and needs, pros and cons, then they can be a great addition. If you are looking for one to help keep the sand clean, it won't work that way. Nothing can replace your maintenance.

Have you looked at the scooter blenny? I wouldn't call them very colorful, but they are active and "hop" along the sand bed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts