The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Nano has been up for over 18 months and I never check any water parameters and have no sump. My clowns breed regularly and are bonded to a healthy green bta.

What I do is change water regularly. I do 2 x 25% water change per week. This keeps my water free of nitrate build up and I never worry about low Ca.

OK is there anyone else out there doing high volume water changes. I'm talking about 50% per week?

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Yeah.....I do about 75% every two weeks.....does that count? I have a biocube 29, but water volume is around 20 gallons. So I literally empty the back compartments, and about 60% of the display....which ends up being 10 gallons. Thats best practice as long as your makeup water is same temp/salinity/ph as the current water.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
It's not unusual to do that for a nano tank and is probably one of the best ways to maintain one successfully. With a small amount of water, the expense of changing water vs buying equipment to keep it clean or testing/dosing is easy to justify.

I currently have a few larger tank setups with a total of roughly 500 gals in circulation. Doing 50% water changes weekly is not a cost effective option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts