The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why the salt level in my tank keeps increasing? During water changes, I add salt water that measures within normal range and plain RO/DI. I've measured that too, just to make sure it's not the hydrometer and it registers correctly at 0. My tank is up over 1.030 and I don't understand it. Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a top on my tank so about an inch or so evaporates weekly. I pull out a 5 gallon bucket and add in 2. Lately I've just been putting in RO/DI to lower the levels. Just want to make sure once I have it stable I don't do something to spike it again. Are you saying that even though I'm topping off with normal range salt water, it's causing the spike because of the evaporation?

·
Registered
912 Posts
when you top of you just want to add fresh ro/di water because when water evaporates just the water evaporates not that salt so the salt is left behind so if you added more salt you salinity would go up and that is why you add fresh water for top off and when you change the water in your tank you want to put normal salt water in because you have takin out salt with the water

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
+1 the best thing you could do for your tank is add an ato system, this will keep your water and salt at a consistent level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts