The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!! I'm a few weeks into cycling my tank and my nitrates are are at 20 <ACRONYM title="Parts per Million">ppm</ACRONYM>. I'm not sure what I should do. Here's my set up: 29 <ACRONYM title=Gallon>gal</ACRONYM> oceanic, Penguin Bio-wheel 200 filter, Prizm ps, 1 powerhead, 30 lbs <ACRONYM title="Live sand">ls</ACRONYM>, 35-40 lbs of <ACRONYM title="Live rock">lr</ACRONYM>. I let the tank sit with live rock and sand for a week then added a few inverts, a few scarlet reef hermits and astria and nassarius snails. There was a minimal ammonia and nitrite spike after the first couple of days, but since then my ammonia and nitrite have been 0 <ACRONYM title="Parts per Million">ppm</ACRONYM>. about a week after adding inverts with no changes. I added a couple of damsels a week later. That was a few days ago. Now my nitrates are at 20 <ACRONYM title="Parts per Million">ppm</ACRONYM>. I realized that i was feeding too much (twice a day). I cut back to once a day, with no change in nitrates. I also noticed that I had adjusted my skimmer too low, so I turned it back up. Should I wait and see if the skimmer adjustment helps? I'm hesitant to do a water change since what I've read says that I shouldn't change it while cycling. What do I do??? Sorry for the long post.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
couple things. What size tank? 35-40lbs of rock may or may NOT be enough.

Also, probably should have waited longer for the cycle to finish.

Also, do you have an RO/DI unit? If you used tap water to start the tank (and for top-off's, water changes, etc), your nitrates will never drop (most municple water co's actually ADD nitrates to the water on purpose).

Could just be the increase in the bio-load of the tank as well. That's quite a bit of critters to add to the tank 1 week after it's set up. The biological fitration (bacteria on the LR) may still be trying to catch up.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Welcome to TRT - you might want to give it a few more days, it takes forever for nitrates to disappear -

HHC

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Welcome to TRT,Give the tank more time you are adding stuff to fast we have to go slow with reefs.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I would wait a few more weeks until your bacteria is better established and then remove the bio-wheel, it will end up being a constant source of nitrates. Also the Penguin filter must be cleaned preferably every other day or it will be a source of detrius buildup and also become a nitrate machine.

Additionally, the Prizm skimmer probably won't cut it if you plan on having a decent size bio-load, and you should consider upgrading to a much more efficient skimmer for that tank such as a Remora Nano or similar. With a good skimmer, the outside power filter really won't be necessary.

For now, regular partial water changes of 10-20% will help keep nitrates in check.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Hi Welcome to trt! I'm also having nitrate problems! I wish mine were at 20. These folks will put you on the right track. I always check here before I buy anything. Good luck also Ive tried Pura- nitralock it hasnt worked for me so save your money.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

As far as your nitrates, that is not very high, The tank is young and will have to mature. Even then You may not drop below that without regular water changes. That will depend on your tank and bio load of the system. It is nice to have 0 nitrates but 20 ppm won't hurt most thing you will be keeping in your tank. So once the tank is ready 4 to 8 weeks do a water Change. and keep that up every month and don't over stock the tank and over feed. I think you will be fine.JMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts