The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a test kit go out of date? No matter how many and what percentage water changes I do my test kit reads 80ppm on the nitrates in my tank. I just did a 20 percent on friday and sat morn I still read the same. what is causing this? any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Some have experation dates.Do you use RO/DI water for your water changes and top-off?If not that's why.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I use RO from my lfs. I am wondering if I should do a test on their water? I can't figure this out...everything in my tank is thriving I'll be it that I don't have a whole lot of inverts right now. I want to get this right before I try adding anything else! I have a clarki clown, a yellow tang(small), a dottyback, coral beauty, and a small niger and a few starfish. is this too much for my tank?

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Ro is probally not enough for your tankIt's ok for them(because they aren't keeping it long).Test and see what the TDS is.As for the amount of fish you didn't say what size tank,but since you said you have a Tang,it must be over 100 gallons.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, its a 46...so I think that may be part of the problem! what is tds? not sure what you mean by ro isn't enough for my tank?

·
Registered
310 Posts
no, its a 46...so I think that may be part of the problem! what is tds? not sure what you mean by ro isn't enough for my tank?
My guess is he is referring to the lack of DI. RO by itself does not effectlivly remove some very important pollutants, like silica and ammonia.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
RO/DI refer to water that has gone through a Reverse Osmosis/ De-Ionization process, which your LFS might have done...call them up and ask them if its RO or RO/DI. You can buy an RO/DI unit from places like www.thefilterguys.com

A TDS test will test for water pollutants or basically how pure the water is for your tank. You want a zero TDS reading.

What type of filtration do you use? Protein skimmer? Bio balls? If it is Bio balls than there is your problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know they have a sign posted above where you get the water that say it read 0 on the blah blah tds test in november. just a little 20 gallon filter for picking out sedement and a excalibur skimmer

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
It has a filter pad right? That is most likely causing your nitrates. Water is passing through all that gunk still. That's why most people use a good skimmer because it removes the junk completely from the system.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so you think that I should go with the skimmer only?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I'm not familiar with your skimmer, but if its rated for a tank over 100 gallons I think it will work for your 46. Yeah the other filter you have is more for freshwater. If you have the skimmer on it then you don't need it.

How long has the tank been set up?
Any corals? If yes then you may need to increase the flow when you take the other filter off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my tank has been set up for about 4 years, but it has been thru 4 moves as well. Just moved it again about 2 months ago. hopefull that this will be the last move for some time! The skimmer is rated for 125 gallons. I have a few zoo colony's and a few others that I not sure what they are called. I also have about 50 lbs live rock. If you look at some of the prior post I listed my inhabitants...do you think my tank is over stocked?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Honestly yes. Those fish like the tang and trigger need to be in a bigger tank just cause the will grow a lot. But it may not be an option to get rid of your fish right now. To help combat the nitrates try taking off the pad filter and cut back on feedings (if you overfeed) then try another five or sixe gallon water change tomorrow.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Yes for a 46 gallon it is.For on thing a tang needs at lease 100 gallon.But the two things(over stocked and water) can do it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, I will take the pad filter off tonight and do a water change tomorrow. I will work on the fish this weekend....thnx for the help guys!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts