The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 120 gallon tank just recently finished cycling saturday morning. I performed a 20 gallon water change and my nitrates are still around 40-60 ppm. Would i be ok to add 2 small fish like a dottyback and a royal gramma? Or should i wait until my nitrates lower?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Just do a big water change...will not harm a thing as long as temp and salinity match...simple math....50% water change will be a drop the nitrate from 40-60 to 20-30...IMO I would do a couple big changes and get nitrate to zero or very close. I don't like to run a system with any readable nitrate. Low nutrients are the way to go before adding a fish or CUC.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Just do a big water change...will not harm a thing as long as temp and salinity match...simple math....50% water change will be a drop the nitrate from 40-60 to 20-30...IMO I would do a couple big changes and get nitrate to zero or very close. I don't like to run a system with any readable nitrate. Low nutrients are the way to go before adding a fish or CUC.
+1 levels are to high right now and with a tank that size you will need to do a bigger water change to get them within safe levels

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok i measured my nitrates yesterday. a day after my water change, and my nitrates are around 40ppm. I am going to pick up some more salt and do a 30 gallon water change again this weekend. What could of caused my nitrates if i have nothing in my tank right now?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
testing water right after a water change is not very helpful. the object is to test the water before and then right after a water change. being the before values are much more important than the after. the before value lets you know exactly what is going on bacterial wise in the system.

i say wait two months before adding any fish to the tank. one month before adding a clean up crew.

G~

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so just letting the tank mature will help in lowering the nitrates and keeping them consistent? Right now the tank is about 3 weeks old and the cycle completed on Saturday. Ammonia and nitrites are 0 and pH is about 8.1. Should i start running my lights in my tank or leave them off?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
no need for lights till fish and corals added...If your into coraline algae, it will grow back when conditions are right.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would i be ok to add a clean up crew if there is no algae or waste for them to feed off of? I just dont understand how my nitrates are that high if there is no waste in the tank. There is no live rock it is all base rock. I added 3 layers of different substrate. I put the coarse crushed coral on the bottom then the next size grain smaller than that and then I added a fine grain sand on the top.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Would i be ok to add a clean up crew if there is no algae or waste for them to feed off of? I just dont understand how my nitrates are that high if there is no waste in the tank. There is no live rock it is all base rock. I added 3 layers of different substrate. I put the coarse crushed coral on the bottom then the next size grain smaller than that and then I added a fine grain sand on the top.
there is waste...a turkey baster blown on the rocks and stirring up the substrate will show you real quick. You can add a CUC, does not need to be a lot maybe 10-20 snails for now. You can add more later. How did you seed the base rock, piece of shrimp?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes i used a piece of shrimp for it. I also took a small piece of live rock and scraped off some coraline algae. I am going to change about 2 gallons every day for the next few weeks to see if this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts