The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does this mean? And, more importantly, what can I do about it? My alkalinity tests are off the chart (higher than 3.6 meq/L), but my pH is frighteningly low (around 7.7 or 7.8). I don't have a calcium test, my tank is 20 gallons, very new, still cycling, cuc and live rock in it right now. Thanks...

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Let it finish it's cycle then do a water change to correct the imbalance.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If it is cycling don't worry about it. Things should settle in a couple months down the road as far as those parameters. The 7.8 Ph is not frightening low by the way, it is close to sea water. Also the 3.6 meq/l is only 10 DKH so that isn't high either even if it were to 12 DKH.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I added Kent superbuffer-dKH once because my pH was even lower and I hadn't bought an alkalinity test yet. Should I keep adding this? I stopped after I tested my alkalinity.

3 mew/L isn't high? My test chart says that 1.7-2.8 is normal and 2.9-3.6 is too high. My tank tested off the chart, so I assumed it was bad.

I'm using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm also using regular tap water, not RO/DI water. The only LFS around me is PETCO and I don't think they sell water, so I don't know where I could find this. I do have just a regular water purifier and I use water conditioner, do you think this could be a problem at all? I tested my tap water and all the levels seemed fine, but ammonia was about .5 ppm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you think about just buying distilled water from, say, a grocery store or something? Is this any better than purified and conditioned tap water?

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Yeah. I would never in a million years risk tap water any more. I would rather go to Walmart and buy gallons of distilled before I use tap water. Thats why I invested in a ro unit. It's an investment you won't be sorry over.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Buying my own RO unit was the second best thing I brought! First was the tank that got me started!! I used to buy RO from LFS, now all I have to do is turn a little ball valve and the next day I got enough water to last a couple of weeks!! Plus I dont have to carry any of it about!!

Oh and being British a cup of tea using RO water is awesome!!!

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Yeah. I would never in a million years risk tap water any more. I would rather go to Walmart and buy gallons of distilled before I use tap water. Thats why I invested in a ro unit. It's an investment you won't be sorry over.

·
Registered
100 Posts
+ 1 on that. My local Walmart has a bottled water dispenser that uses a RO/DI Filter system. Lowes and Home Depot also sells water. Look for the diy machines not prefilled.
My. 02

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Be prudent and invest now in an RO/DI filter unit. Better to invest in that now while you are just starting out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Coop here sells RO/DI water for 15 cents a gallon. If I do a 10% water change every week, this is only going to $15.60/year. This seems to make more sense, at least right now, then dropping $120 on a unit when it would take me almost 8 years to spend that much on water at the store.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts