The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been here for just a couple days, reading up and learning. I found you guys after I had the bad experience of finding out that my hubby had purchased me a gift card from Aqua Zoo for Christmas 2 days before they closed. I came here trying to find out the details.

I am fortunate in that over the last weekend, I found Rob's Reef and met Rob. He was wonderful to me... gave me a little treat for being a 1st time customer. Guaranteed that I will be a repeat customer!

I have been running a freshwater 55g for more than 15 years.

Recently delved into saltwater. Started out with tank inhabitants that we (my 11 yo daughter and I) collected ourselved near the Cocoa Beach area. After some trial and error, I believe we are on solid ground, so to speak, to a healthy and thriving tank. We initially had a 20g long and have since upgraded to a 55g. Our tanks has about 15 lbs live rock (we want a bunch more) live sand. Fish: 1 Coral Beauty, 1 Mandarin Goby (from Rob), 1 Chromis, 1 Rock Goby, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 very small snowflake eel, 1 Seabae Anemonefish.

In the sump we are temporarily holding our more aggressive juvie Cocoa Damsel and juvie Sargent Major. I'm currently looking to rehome them, as well as the juvie smallmouthed grunt in the main tank. These fish will be too big when full grown. The grunt is relatively mild mannered but the other two were picking on everyone.

We also have 3 rock anemone that we collected, an Atlantic anemone,a Chocolate chip star, 3 scarlet hermits and several generic blue hermits.

Oh, forgot to mention that I just recently stated adding in some small coral frags. Can't remember what it was that I bought at Rob's. I'll have to make notes next time I go there. Since I only have about 220 watt lights, it's a soft coral that doesn't require intense lights. I am going slowly on the coral front.

Anyway, that's me! I love reading here and I adore my sw tank. I watch it more than out 52 inch tv!!!

Cindy

·
Administrator
46,839 Posts
Welcome to TRT Cindy, we have a lot of FLA folks here so you are in go company :)

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Welcome to TRT.

Just a heads ups on some things i noticed reading your post. First thing is get rid of the choclate star, it is not reef safe and will eat your corals in a reef tank.

Second thing i noticed is you stated you have a mandarin goby, these fish are picky eaters in home aquariums and tend to starve to death after the natural food source of pods has been depleted. You need a mature tank with tons of live rock and continual source of pods for the goby.

Third thing, 15 pounds of rock, i agree you need more rock.

What other type of filtration are you running? do you have a skimmer?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Welcome Cindy.

Come join us in the Northeast Florida Marine Aquarium Society forum area as well. If you sign up in there as a member, we have a seperate Members Only area with a off-topic chat area and Aquarium 911 forum too.

I believe there is a thread going in there right now about AZ closing.

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109867

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome!

As far as the star, I am sad to hear that! I really like "him"! We feed him bits of clam or scallop once a week and he really seems to mostly hang out on the glass. Pooh! I guess I'll be looking to trade him too.

As far as filtration, I have a 75 gallon rated wet dry with prefilter. I do have a hang on skimmer but I am looking at building my own in sump skimmer. Our tank is viewable from all sizes and I want to declutter the view. I currently have the bioballs in the filter but plan to replace them with live rock when I get more.

I'm looking into getting more rock. Someone on CL posted that they have 100 lbs available for $3 a lb. Sounded like a good price.

The Mandarin Goby... I saw a photo of this fish when we first started our sw venture. I read up a lot and was disappointed to read that they were difficult to coax into eating frozen/dried commercial foods. Since I got him last weekend, I see him eating frequently and he seems ok. Anything I can do to help ensure his survival? I was considering raising our own continuous supply of copepods. Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's the thread that brought me to this site! My hubby stopped there there on the 24th to confirm they were kaput. He sid there was a note on the door stating there are workers going in daily to care for the animals. What will they do with them? There was a Cocatoo there that I'd love to give a home to, as well as a sun conure... not to mention all the great rock, coral, sponge, polyp, etc.

Welcome Cindy.

Come join us in the Northeast Florida Marine Aquarium Society forum area as well. If you sign up in there as a member, we have a seperate Members Only area with a off-topic chat area and Aquarium 911 forum too.

I believe there is a thread going in there right now about AZ closing.

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109867

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here are my pics.. I hope

That easy on the photos, huh?! I already have a photobucket acct. so here goes... these are pics, not great ones mind you, when I first upgraded to the 55.

The 1st 2 pics were taken just as I finished transferring from the 20l to the 55. I was exhausted form doing all this by myself with a bad back so I had yet to get the 75 wet dry set up. Wanted to wait until the next day so I put a temp in tank filter in overnight.

The 3rd picture was taken the day before I put in my protein skimmer. (3 days after transfer to 55) Before that with the 20g long, I was doing 2 water changes per week. This is also before I got another piece of live rock.

The filter... a tight squeeze (you can see the seargent major hanging out here

Here is the "new" light I got. I don't know much about pricing... what do you think a fair price on this used is? Previously, I had basic coralife bulbs in the lights that came with the 2 55 hoods that came with the tank. I had removed the glass pieces so UV light would reach the tank. (I know now about higher watt lighting) I bought the tank, hoods and 75 wetdry filter for $125. I thought it was a good deal... no?

there are 2 of each of these bulbs

·
Registered
839 Posts
Anyway, that's me! I love reading here and I adore my sw tank. I watch it more than out 52 inch tv!!!

HAHA My husband and I do the same thing, we sit infront of our 30g and talk about our day.

Welcome to TRT............be careful, the addiction takes over very quickly, soon you'll be spending grocery money on coral.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to TRT............be careful, the addiction takes over very quickly, soon you'll be spending grocery money on coral.
OK!!! Where is the hidden camera?!?! No lie... each week when I go grocery shopping, I stealthily add $20 cash back to my debit card and sock the money away in a hiding spot in my closet. Never know when the urge to splurge will hit!

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Welcome to TRT! start saving money for a bigger tank... you're going to want one...trust me...LOL

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
Welcome to TRT! Looking good since you have some Live rock you can get rid of the bio balls slowly.They can cause your Nitrates to go up.

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
Hello New
I still think it's a funny name :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts