The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reffered over this site by a member on another site and wanted to introduce myself.
Been reefing since around 96 until I had to take some time off somewhere around 05 for school, built a family and got career off the ground.
Jumped back in going on a cpl years ago. Ive built a cpl full systems, countless quick set up tanks for incoming livestock etc.
Never really tried my hand at dry rock but thinking about doing a cpl experimental tanks looking at a cpl things while everything is going smooth in main systems :D

Attachments

Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
Sorry I didn鈥檛 get back sooner, I鈥檓 big smelly fish over there. Been following you thread on cycling. Very interesting. I did pm you if you remember.
as far as cycling I can only speak for myself. I don鈥檛 tend to use dry rock but gulf rock nowadays since most live rock of the pass isn鈥檛 available. I do it the old way of testing the three perimeter. And over a time of about 4 weeks or longer. It鈥檚 my wife鈥檚 birthday so going to dinner.

hopefully others will chime in. I will later.

Super Moderator
I will add I鈥檇 do use shrimp or frozen food to feed the nitrogen cycle. The discussion over there is a very good one as is the on one going strong over , the challenge tread on cycling. I go and catch up every night.

Administrator
Hello LRT, and a BIG WELCOME to TRT!
Good hearing a/ You were refered here....
b/ You met up with someone you know here......
LIFE IS GOOD!

THAT'S a picture of your system?

Nose Product Iris Font Painting

......Just.......WOW!
馃憤 馃
Hack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello LRT, and a BIG WELCOME to TRT!
Good hearing a/ You were refered here....
b/ You met up with someone you know here......
LIFE IS GOOD!

THAT'S a picture of your system?

View attachment 242240
......Just.......WOW!
馃憤 馃
Hack
Hi thank you! Yes that is one of my current tanks I built from recent full system upgrade. I should have left a warning/disclaimer that I have an obsession with shrooms lol
Appreciate the warm welcome and looking forward to finding my way around boards:D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will add I鈥檇 do use shrimp or frozen food to feed the nitrogen cycle. The discussion over there is a very good one as is the on one going strong over , the challenge tread on cycling. I go and catch up every night.
Hi Vinnie my apologies i thought I responded here but forgot to hit post before I left for hour and half drive home from work!
I did recognize your signature and remeber our conversation from the other day. It def is nice to see a familiar face and appreciate the kind words there and warm welcome here.
Id really like to touch on what you have mentioned more in depth when I have a little more time. Dinners almost ready and mamas already looking at me haha.
Anyhow im really glad your digging the discussion in those threads. The instacycle non challenge thread was really just a humorous way to approach and talk about what ive been thinking about and concentrating on in my recent upgrade.
The means and method thread was to try and get alot of the same conversation that was happening around the board in one thread. Its kind of taken on a life of its own at this point really. Alot of great info being provided from alot of my heroes and glad everyone kind of worked out a way to have a civilized conversation. My biggest takeaway from that thread is we really don't know alot. It really could be explored deeper and we really do need to figure out alot as it could be helpful to reefers as well as extremely beneficial for us in keeping reefs in our home as the reef i visited is quickly vanishing. What blew my mind is the confusion on how to even define a cycle or classify the different processes that get us to cycle. Tons of confusion even from the pros. Im just kind of sitting back and learning what I cam from it all at this point.
Hopefully when I find my way around the boards I can track my current tank as well as a cpl different ideas im thinking of:D looking forward to it.

Super Moderator
Talking about cycling a new tank, I have been doing them pretty slow and over more of an extended time the I usually do. the reason is a lot happening last few years and I just got into a no rust, I have two tanks right now I need to put livestock in, both are ready to go, but I haven't found the time. a good two months two months already.
one is set up with live gulf rock and the other with dry. The dry rock tank is a seahorse tank, reason for dry rock, keep unwanted out. the reef is the live rock and really need to get livestock in it. It does have some GHA that is drying off right now, I feed both tanks with frozen foods to keep it going.
From doing this all my life I know this is find and works well.

Super Moderator
Hi Vinnie my apologies i thought I responded here but forgot to hit post before I left for hour and half drive home from work!
I did recognize your signature and remeber our conversation from the other day. It def is nice to see a familiar face and appreciate the kind words there and warm welcome here.
Id really like to touch on what you have mentioned more in depth when I have a little more time. Dinners almost ready and mamas already looking at me haha.
Anyhow im really glad your digging the discussion in those threads. The instacycle non challenge thread was really just a humorous way to approach and talk about what ive been thinking about and concentrating on in my recent upgrade.
The means and method thread was to try and get alot of the same conversation that was happening around the board in one thread. Its kind of taken on a life of its own at this point really. Alot of great info being provided from alot of my heroes and glad everyone kind of worked out a way to have a civilized conversation. My biggest takeaway from that thread is we really don't know alot. It really could be explored deeper and we really do need to figure out alot as it could be helpful to reefers as well as extremely beneficial for us in keeping reefs in our home as the reef i visited is quickly vanishing. What blew my mind is the confusion on how to even define a cycle or classify the different processes that get us to cycle. Tons of confusion even from the pros. Im just kind of sitting back and learning what I cam from it all at this point.
Hopefully when I find my way around the boards I can track my current tank as well as a cpl different ideas im thinking of:D looking forward to it.
That's what I'm reading the thread for, I always open to learn new stuff. it's just a whole lot of information and moving fast with many different views on the subject, I just asked a few question and you did answer which I appreciate. Soon as I find another decent tank I will go back and reread some and try some of it out so I have first hand experience with it before I share,

Administrator
WOW.......I fall asleep early and the world keeps turning anyway. :oops:

That's what I'm reading the thread for, I always open to learn new stuff. it's just a whole lot of information and moving fast with many different views on the subject, I just asked a few question and you did answer which I appreciate. Soon as I find another decent tank I will go back and reread some and try some of it out so I have first hand experience with it before I share,
I've just recently heard that the 'initial cycle' for our marine aquariums has been put back on the table for discussions....
I'm an antique and and have been comfy with 'old school - cycling through ammonia, nitrite and ending up with nitrates with a hunk of shrimp left over from dinner'. I'm a slow learner, that's a wee sluggish off the starting line any more, but will be some interesting reading in my future here I see.

Alot of great info being provided from alot of my heroes and glad everyone kind of worked out a way to have a civilized conversation.
I'm a HUGE FAN of keeping life 'CIVILIZED'.:cautious:
Hack

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW.......I fall asleep early and the world keeps turning anyway. :oops:

I've just recently heard that the 'initial cycle' for our marine aquariums has been put back on the table for discussions....
I'm an antique and and have been comfy with 'old school - cycling through ammonia, nitrite and ending up with nitrates with a hunk of shrimp left over from dinner'. I'm a slow learner, that's a wee sluggish off the starting line any more, but will be some interesting reading in my future here I see.

I'm a HUGE FAN of keeping life 'CIVILIZED'.:cautious:
Hack
Haha for sure. I think that was my best way to describe the craziness and argument that occurred in one of the threads mentioned for a solid 10 pages or so. Lots of passionate folks out there and good reason to be. I think once everyone got on the level its become highly informational.
Anyhow for the record. Ive never not done things the old school way. My current tanks where set up with gulf rock, saltwater, some cuc and the cuc where fed minimal until ammonia peaked and zeroed out. Fish and corals where added immediately when ammonia zeroed out within about 24 hrs.
Fully established healthy thriving system upgrade. Just new cage. unsure. Live rock has always pretty much worked the same exact way for me. Only time its ever changed is when it was uncured.

Super Moderator
Haha for sure. I think that was my best way to describe the craziness and argument that occurred in one of the threads mentioned for a solid 10 pages or so. Lots of passionate folks out there and good reason to be. I think once everyone got on the level its become highly informational.
Anyhow for the record. Ive never not done things the old school way. My current tanks where set up with gulf rock, saltwater, some cuc and the cuc where fed minimal until ammonia peaked and zeroed out. Fish and corals where added immediately when ammonia zeroed out within about 24 hrs.
Fully established healthy thriving system upgrade. Just new cage. unsure. Live rock has always pretty much worked the same exact way for me. Only time its ever changed is when it was uncured.
I started in the 70's when the information was in the books you read and talking to others at the local fish store, You learned the basics of cycling and the nitrogen cycle. The hobby was in its infancy stage. Back then the science worked and still does, but as time progress we learned more and are still learning more.
I haven't drove into all the chemistry aspect of it as some and probably wont be anytime soon. but like I mentioned early I'm always open to learning new and better things that will make my life better and the life of my livestock.
I will still help new people starting out with the basics, I think for most it's something people can understand if they are willing. it may not be what someone else thinks correct but it's what I know works, because no matter how you it are still dealing with the same science, the nitrogen cycle has to be completed no mater how do it, Some ways may be faster then others.
I think for a newer person entering into the hobby the stand way we have been doing is easier for them to comprehend and likely less of a chance for them to have major problems. You have to get them to understand the process which is hard for some that want instant gratification, I think that is the number one cause on why so many people bail out so soon. I see it first hand working in the LFS. people watched the nemo movie , just an example and want nemo and dori. buy a tank set it up and bring water samples in waiting for the right time to stock. They never really take the time to understand what's happening. But you will have those eager to learn and the basics are a good place to start. Just my take on it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I started in the 70's when the information was in the books you read and talking to others at the local fish store, You learned the basics of cycling and the nitrogen cycle. The hobby was in its infancy stage. Back then the science worked and still does, but as time progress we learned more and are still learning more.
I haven't drove into all the chemistry aspect of it as some and probably wont be anytime soon. but like I mentioned early I'm always open to learning new and better things that will make my life better and the life of my livestock.
I will still help new people starting out with the basics, I think for most it's something people can understand if they are willing. it may not be what someone else thinks correct but it's what I know works, because no matter how you it are still dealing with the same science, the nitrogen cycle has to be completed no mater how do it, Some ways may be faster then others.
I think for a newer person entering into the hobby the stand way we have been doing is easier for them to comprehend and likely less of a chance for them to have major problems. You have to get them to understand the process which is hard for some that want instant gratification, I think that is the number one cause on why so many people bail out so soon. I see it first hand working in the LFS. people watched the nemo movie , just an example and want nemo and dori. buy a tank set it up and bring water samples in waiting for the right time to stock. They never really take the time to understand what's happening. But you will have those eager to learn and the basics are a good place to start. Just my take on it.
Totally agreed. I'm not sure there is a right or wrong way with all the different ways we can set up tanks. You can fail following the old school rules. I'll never do it differently.
Some of the information and topics being discussed are super interesting. Definetely coming from some of my heroes in the older school guys. We have learned enough of the science to look at different ways of stocking tanks because we have the basic science to work from. Definetely for the more advanced aquarist that has basic knowledge, work ethic and wherewithal of at least keeping the major params locked in to safe #'s passed down by old schoolers.
I'm trying to stay humble myself. Coming back into reefing a cpl few years ago was crazy. In the old days we didn't have computers and apps and programmable lights and machine that could automate dosing. At least not that im aware of. I still hand test and dose. Im not even sure exactly how the new machines work.
First and foremost I'm just trying to enjoy the hobby. Learn and take care of my critters:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts