The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an odd problem that I need a little help with..

I have a high calcium level and cannot seem to bring it down.. Most people complain because they cannot get their levels up!! Go figure!!

Anyways, listed below are my test results as of 9:45PM today..

pH: 8.2
Alk: low/norm <borderlining it> (red sea test kit)
Phosphate: .1
Ammonia: Trace (less than .25)
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Ca: 550-600 (red sea test kit again)

The test kit is only about 4 months old..

Everything (fish and corals) seems to be doing fine and the xenia is growing like kudzu but I know it should never get this high.. I do regular water changes (well, twice monthly @ 10% each change)

Is there anything I should do to bring this down? I know that when I do the pH and Alk will stabiliz at their normal levels..

Your advise would be appreciated... THANKS
:) :)

·
Ghetto Reefer 101
1,447 Posts
i'm just wondering why it is so high? do you add calcium? Two part solutions, Kalk????

THe calcium should not be that high on it's own...if you're not adding anything than I'd look towards the test kit...RED SEA is terrible, I had a conversation once with a Red Sea rep and he even had bad things to say about the red sea test kits....

I wouldn't worry about high calcium, if you are adding stuff(2 part, kalk), slow down, if your not; get a new test kit........the tank should level itself off

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have previously added a CA supplement but have not added it in over a month...

In the meantime, is there anything I should do to bring the pH and Alk levels to where they should be? I have a liquid buffer I use and should poss dose that a few times...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Kevin.....mix up some fresh salt water or get some from your local LFS......then test the test kit.....by testing the Calcium in the newly made seawater......if the Red sea test kit reads 500 with this water as well ......then you will need to get a Seachem test kit like you should have to begin with .......:D

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
Keven,

You never mentioned specifically what level your Alk is. If your calcium is really that high (if your test kit isn't bad), chances are your Alk is way too low. Pick up an Alk test kit and let us know what your Alk is...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.