The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 16lbs of LR in my 29gal. i no ur supposed to have at least 1lb per gallon but, question. my readings are all a t 0 right now, and the rock work isnt to shabby. i just wanted sugg jestions on either to A:move the peices around to look better, then start adding fish. B: leave the peices how they are, then add fish. C: get the 12 other lbs of Lr, wait for readings to go back to 0, then add fish. Also, what is a good beginer coral/invertibrA. im def ganna get a anemone for a clown, but what kind> which ones glow in the dark. n e ways heres the pic of my tank as of 6:05 on 5/18/06. thanks to errr body in the club gettin tipst bro

·
Registered
212 Posts
A question for you. Do you think you would ever want to have more rock? If so i would do it now rather than trying to add it to a tank with occupants. This is just my opinion... I would get one more larger piece to put it on the left side as to make a mountain of sorts. This would give you more rock for filtration as well as provide a place for corals who love high lighting.
Bubble tip anemones are fairly hardy. Do keep in mind anemones prefer an established tank. I wouldnt make it my first purchase. Good beginning corals would be green star polyps, yellow polyps, zoos, and mushrooms.
Have you had any algea blooms yet?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am currently undergoing a brown algea that prefers the sand. i am told this is a normal ending to the cycling period. i guess ill buy some more rock. i dont like to lean the rock against the glass because then i cant clean the inside of it, other wise i would do the moutain thing. im haveing a lil trouble understanding xactly what i want to do with the rock. ive seen tanks with two piles of rock on the sides and have it bare in the middle, and another had rock only in the middle, im not to sue what i want to end up with, so if n e won has any sugestions or pics of different styles of aquascapings, please post them. thank youz guyzes

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
take a lookinthe blog area and inthe photo area.. youwill see tonsof tank pictures..
since you are thinking of adding more LR to the tank, pick up some PVC from the hardware store. ( 3-4 inch round) cut it to raise your LR off the bottom. this will help keepthe tank cleaner and not trap the ditrious.
the anemone you are looking at willhave to wait a good 6 months.. they really need a established tank to go in to. clowns will host with a lot of things, mine has hosted with my group of Fuzzy mushrooms.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i second both ideas that you should get the LR now instead of later and also wait on the anemone at least 6 months or even a year . my first coral was a toad stool leather and one of my clowns has taken to it like an anemone. as far as inverts my first one was a tiger stripe serpent star and a ruby serpent star.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I also think You will be better off adding live rock in the early stages of the tank. But if you want to wait you can get more live rock and cure it in a rumbbermaid trash can and then put it in. I also agree with the anemone added to a mature tank, with good lighting , not now.

I don't agree with the rule of thumb on a pound or more per gallon. allot will depend on the type of rock you get and how dense it is. and also with what You want and appeals to you as far as what the tank will look like. Not everyone wants the same look.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Vince is right. YOu can always cure more rock in a tub. All you need is a heater, and something to move the water (power head)?

Once the rock's cured in the tub, you can add it right to your tank. The closer the temp and pH is in the tub to that in your tank, will determine how noticible of a mini-cycle you have. If they match perfectly, you shouldn't see ANY cycle at all.

The amount of rock you need depends on a few things. The first of which is what Vince said. How pourous the rock is. The 2nd is...how much life are you going to be adding to this tank. If you're only adding one fish, what you have would more than likely be sufficient forever. But if you want to add more fish...you'll definitely need more LR.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i think your tank is way to young to be adding anything living to it. it is a good idea to wait at least a month before adding anything living to a new system. it is a lot less stressfull for you and the tank inhabitants. besides it gives you a good month to figure out how to do water changes and other tank maitenance before subjecting critters to that ordeal. :D

anemone's need strong lighting, what kind of lights do you have on the tank? MH are generally prefered for them, but if the tank is shallow enough high powered flourescents could be enough.

G~

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I agree with all here - don't rush things - adding animals of any kind will just stress them AND you. I would add as much LR as you can afford, and as you want - - I think the PVC idea is a great idea too. The cycling has to be complete for several iterations before you add anything living. Patience is the hardest thing for me in this hobby - we all want to add stuff right away!

HHC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts