The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you all seen John's spiffy new banner here on thereeftank.com for Aqualuxlighting.com?
I gotta say I truely do love those T5 46.5 inchers I bought from him they are perfect for those of us with space limitations. and the program start ballast was the easiest DIY lighting wiring I have ever done.
just lettin you all know we got a LOCAL T5 guy!
Matt

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was wondering who that new sponsor was.

John - can you tell any difference between using the Work Horse and Advanced ballasts versus an IceCap? (other than the weight left in your wallet)

Daryl

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Yeah, I sent an PM to John asking if he is going to the next meeting if he would show us what the computer designed reflector looks like along with the slimline reflector......

·
Registered
475 Posts
Which John is this?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John = asbjorn
don't know if he wants his last name private or not so I will leave that question for him to answer.
Matt

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks Matt, I hope your bulbs are keeping your tank looking good and your corals happy. Matt was kind enough to help me, by providing some good feedback on how the bulbs perform.

Well, after about twelve months I am finally ready to open my doors for business.

A little about the company.

AquaLux Lighting Company was founded on the belief that there are a lot of aquarists out there, looking for good quantitative information regarding the different choices in aquarium lighting. Over the next several months I will be adding a lot of information about the different lighting options, and more in depth technical reviews on exactly how the different lighting systems work.

Regarding the ballast question, only time will tell. Based on test data from commercial lighting, you should see at least 15% longer bulb life using Programmed-Start vs. Instant-Start. As far as overdriving the bulbs my opinion is that it will shorten bulb life and lower efficiency. I would over drive only if I could not fit enough bulbs to get the light I wanted. When comparing the same bulb in NO (normal output) vs. VHO (very high output) you will usually see a drop in lumens per watt of about 10% - 20% for the VHO. I also had one manufacturer tell me that the blue and UV phosphor are very sensitive to high temperatures, so if you are running the bulbs over their designed operating temp you should see a more rapid shift in color temperature.

That being said, after working with these bulbs I really do believe that T5 will eventually replace VHO and PC for the majority of reef and fresh water planted tanks.

For any TCMAS members that would like to see the new bulbs and reflectors in person, I plan on bringing samples to the June meeting.

Please check out my site, I welcome any comments.
John Herschbach

1 - 7 of 7 Posts