The Reef Tank banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

Shark..but a friendly one
......should a been a 'smiley face' in there somewhere.....

馃 馃榿
THAT'S better'er,
Hack

Sponge
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
......should a been a 'smiley face' in there somewhere.....

馃 馃榿
THAT'S better'er,
Hack
Hey I loved my 75. Was perfect sized for aquascaping IMO. But I hear a lot of people like 90鈥檚 as well. I just didn鈥檛 want to deal with the depth. 75 was perfect because I could reach front to back without going in to my armpit lol.
On a side note, I saw a barracuda at the LFS 馃く
That thing would be awesome to have

Sponge
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I like the 75, (that was my old tank) or the 120. The 90 is a great tank if you are doing a DSB, but it's hard to grow corals out on top and not shadow the things below too badly if you are trying to use the full height for rock and SPS.

Whiskey
Yeah I could see that. I never had one bigger than a 75 but always wanted. Now I鈥檓 glad I didn鈥檛 because I think I would have ruined that for myself in the future. We鈥檝e decided this isn鈥檛 our forever home as it鈥檚 getting too crowded for 4 people and 2 dogs. But a small tank will work perfectly for now until I have more time freed up later in life and in a different home. Still haven鈥檛 heard any opinions on the fluval flex

75 was perfect because I could reach front to back without going in to my armpit lol.
THAT'S why I love this 210 set up.....Stand/tank perfect height, no climbing, and I can reach the bottom. THOUGH in a tee shirt the sleeves still get wet.
So that'll be a part of the decision making process.
I'm liking shallow also for the light penetration, and as Whiskey pointed out don't want to 'shadow' other Corals if'n I screw up and they like my new system. 馃榿
Hack

Sponge
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
THAT'S why I love this 210 set up.....Stand/tank perfect height, no climbing, and I can reach the bottom. THOUGH in a tee shirt the sleeves still get wet.
So that'll be a part of the decision making process.
I'm liking shallow also for the light penetration, and as Whiskey pointed out don't want to 'shadow' other Corals if'n I screw up and they like my new system. 馃榿
Hack
Yeah I like my tanks somewhat on a taller stand so I can observe them easily on the couch lol. I actually recently saw a 鈥渓agoon鈥 tank on YouTube. Was a 33 gallon tank. Looked close to 48鈥 long which I thought made the tank seem bigger than it truly is. Gives you more space for coral which we all know I like a lot of coral lol. The fluval flex if I鈥檓 not mistaken is around 35鈥 long which is a good size as well. Plus the bow in the front panel is pretty intriguing

Just some guy, you know?
Yeah I could see that. I never had one bigger than a 75 but always wanted. Now I鈥檓 glad I didn鈥檛 because I think I would have ruined that for myself in the future. We鈥檝e decided this isn鈥檛 our forever home as it鈥檚 getting too crowded for 4 people and 2 dogs. But a small tank will work perfectly for now until I have more time freed up later in life and in a different home. Still haven鈥檛 heard any opinions on the fluval flex
I just looked up the Fluval Flex, and although I don't have personal experience it really looks like a freshwater tank. The lighting won't work for reef, that top would need to go if you are doing reef lighting, and there is no good spot for a skimmer in there if you choose to add one. Plus the bow in the front glass would distort pictures and make it challenging to get nice FTS shots, it would also make it difficult to use any magnetic cleaner, especially blade type ones for coraline.

Like I said, no personal experience, but those are my initial thoughts.
Whiskey

Sponge
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I just looked up the Fluval Flex, and although I don't have personal experience it really looks like a freshwater tank. The lighting won't work for reef, that top would need to go if you are doing reef lighting, and there is no good spot for a skimmer in there if you choose to add one. Plus the bow in the front glass would distort pictures and make it challenging to get nice FTS shots, it would also make it difficult to use any magnetic cleaner, especially blade type ones for coraline.

Like I said, no personal experience, but those are my initial thoughts.
Whiskey
There鈥檚 actually 2 different fluval flex tanks. One is freshwater and the other is salt. Some people鈥檚 reviews say they will grow softies and LPS but obviously not SPS. Even fluval claims it鈥檚 鈥済reat for reef tanks鈥. But there aren鈥檛 many long term reviews on the tank/ lighting. The saltwater tank one has a built in spot for a skimmer, but only enough room for their brand skimmer. I definitely could see the issue you stated with the bow part being harder to clean. I may just stick to the traditional box style tank. I liked this kit because all I would have needed to start was it and a heater. Can add a skimmer later

Just some guy, you know?
There鈥檚 actually 2 different fluval flex tanks. One is freshwater and the other is salt. Some people鈥檚 reviews say they will grow softies and LPS but obviously not SPS. Even fluval claims it鈥檚 鈥済reat for reef tanks鈥. But there aren鈥檛 many long term reviews on the tank/ lighting. The saltwater tank one has a built in spot for a skimmer, but only enough room for their brand skimmer. I definitely could see the issue you stated with the bow part being harder to clean. I may just stick to the traditional box style tank. I liked this kit because all I would have needed to start was it and a heater. Can add a skimmer later
I hear you on the easy aspect of it, and I love the general size as well. There are great options for biocube style tanks that will give you more options though, and there are also a huge number of red-sea like tanks coming out that come ready to go.

Like what do you think about this one, also 34 gallons, comes with stand, sump, filtersocks, good lights, and ATO, and there is lots of room to add your skimmer later.

Whiskey

Sponge
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I hear you on the easy aspect of it, and I love the general size as well. There are great options for biocube style tanks that will give you more options though, and there are also a huge number of red-sea like tanks coming out that come ready to go.

Like what do you think about this one, also 34 gallons, comes with stand, sump, filtersocks, good lights, and ATO, and there is lots of room to add your skimmer later.

Whiskey

Man I love that tank. A little more than I wanted to spend but I may just shell it out and get it. I鈥檝e always loved rimless tanks. I found it at another website in stock and a little cheaper. Black is my color lol. I can鈥檛 seem to find it, but does it come with a return pump?

Just some guy, you know?
I was trying to reply to this thread earlier but my keyboard was dead. I had to go charge it. I love the backlight but having it die every couple weeks is a little inconvenient.

Anyway, yeah - that tank is not cheap, but if you add up everything you would need to buy to make something like it then it seems more reasonable,.. it's just harder to lay out that much cash at one shot. I'm sure it comes with a return, I couldn't imagine them including a ATO and no return.

I made the mistake of going with a 10G AIO tank for my bedroom nano. It's great for what it is, and it would have been a great office tank, but for my bedroom I find the tiny back filtration area overly restrictive.

Whiskey

Sponge
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Most of the time I reply on here with my phone and rarely use my computer. Honestly I鈥檓 not even sure if the thing would work anymore it鈥檚 been so long lol.

Yeah I can see how a 10 could get pretty cramped. I have a fluval nano I had set up for awhile. I think it may be a 5 gallon though. Way too small after I got it up and Running. But I checked out bulk reef supply and added basically everything I would need to start my tank and came out to 1260.47. But that鈥檚 not including a stand. It鈥檚 a NUVO Fusion Pro AIO aquarium bundle. Has a 鈥渂uilt in sump chamber鈥 in the back. Just a small reserved area in the back for a small return pump and media filters. And that price also included a Maxspect Razor LED fixture. Not seen many people running that tank though

Just some guy, you know?
Most of the time I reply on here with my phone and rarely use my computer. Honestly I鈥檓 not even sure if the thing would work anymore it鈥檚 been so long lol.

Yeah I can see how a 10 could get pretty cramped. I have a fluval nano I had set up for awhile. I think it may be a 5 gallon though. Way too small after I got it up and Running. But I checked out bulk reef supply and added basically everything I would need to start my tank and came out to 1260.47. But that鈥檚 not including a stand. It鈥檚 a NUVO Fusion Pro AIO aquarium bundle. Has a 鈥渂uilt in sump chamber鈥 in the back. Just a small reserved area in the back for a small return pump and media filters. And that price also included a Maxspect Razor LED fixture. Not seen many people running that tank though
Yeah, my nano has that chamber in the back. I've really not been happy with the lack of flexibility with that Chamber. My tank is a 10G, so I'm able to make up for it by doing a 50% water change every week or two, but I would be concerned using the same method on a larger tank where that is not as reasonable.

It's a nice looking tank! But that is my concern with it. Also I've never found a reasonable skimmer I can use in my AIO.

Whiskey

Sponge
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Yeah, my nano has that chamber in the back. I've really not been happy with the lack of flexibility with that Chamber. My tank is a 10G, so I'm able to make up for it by doing a 50% water change every week or two, but I would be concerned using the same method on a larger tank where that is not as reasonable.

It's a nice looking tank! But that is my concern with it. Also I've never found a reasonable skimmer I can use in my AIO.

Whiskey
Yeah I鈥檓 just all sorts of confused on what to get. But luckily I have nothing but time to sit and think about everything. I鈥檓 not planning on rushing anything this time. Previously I had purchased an established tank, but got a lot of bad things with it. This time I鈥檓 starting from scratch and doing the cycle myself

Premium Member
Yeah I鈥檓 just all sorts of confused on what to get. But luckily I have nothing but time to sit and think about everything. I鈥檓 not planning on rushing anything this time. Previously I had purchased an established tank, but got a lot of bad things with it. This time I鈥檓 starting from scratch and doing the cycle myself
After you been in the hobby so it called, I think of it more as a lifestyle, you learn to take your time and learn patience.

Just saying.....I know someone shutting down a 210 gallon softies tank with a couple hundred pounds of corals.....and withing EASY driving distance..... 馃 ;)
Hack

Sponge
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Just saying.....I know someone shutting down a 210 gallon softies tank with a couple hundred pounds of corals.....and withing EASY driving distance..... 馃 ;)
Hack
Haha I鈥檇 say it鈥檚 very shallow diving. Hopefully I will have mine up by the time you take yours down. This week was a reminder that my schedule is very hectic. But part of it was my fault searching and searching for the right car. But now that it鈥檚 out of the way I have no plans but get caught up at work.
And Vinnie, yeah I feel the lifestyle of reefing even though I haven鈥檛 had a tank in a couple years. Going to the aquarium and seeing all of it brought back a lot of my knowledge lol. My kids were asking me what things were and surprisingly I remembered most.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts